PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
So my dad smoked a pipe in the 70s. Well Step-dad really. Thank god because he is Dutch. Anyway lol I talked to him last weekend and asked if he had ever smoked latakia and he looked at me like a deer in front of headlights. He had never heard of such a thing.
My dad must had been a noobie..

Mar 1, 2014
The vast majority of pipe smokers never buy anything beyond their local supermarket.
Apparently Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco sold almost twice as much as anything else on the market 50 years ago.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Sorry. That was a contextually funny line from the movie "Goldmember". I actually do hate the Dutch, but that's only because no one else does and I feel sad that they get left out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the vast majority of pipe smokers of the past had one or two favorite blends and that was as far as they went, and often just one pipe at a time until each burnt out. That was the Depression and World War Two generation. Most of them would look at my pipe "collection" and think they were addressing a mad man, which may be true. I suspect my dad would have known what Latakia was, but would have scorned "fancy" tobacco. Funny about prejudices. The Dutch are critical of the Belgiums because of their disorganized ways and the Danish for living inside too much. As Red Fox said, "I had a black father and a white mother; I didn't know who to hate."

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The vast majority of pipe smokers never buy anything beyond their local supermarket.
I think the vast majority of pipe smokers of the past had one or two favorite blends and that was as far as they went, and often just one pipe at a time until each burnt out.
My impression is that this is still true. Most smokers seem to acquire their tobacco and pipes locally, probably Grabows and SWR/PA/CH/BR, and smoke in the evenings after work. The local stores here keep selling out of PA, but I don't see anyone smoking in public.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
The local stores here keep selling out of PA, but I don't see anyone smoking in public.
Right? I still get excited on those rare times when I see someone driving and smoking a pipe. I declare Biddeford, ME a pipe smoker desert. Far as I can tell, it's me and one guy I work with. Got a decent B&M though, so there's that. Digression. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.