PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
My calabash has ruined my life. It smokes so cool, so smooth, and with such clear flavor that I need another. With the price of most calabashes I'll be broke in no time
sdgs.jpg

0415020111.jpg

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I love my Calabashes too Uber.

They can and will cause TAD to supply them, and PAD because you'll want another-and-another-and-another....

I was lucky... I managed to stop and two. :D

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I've never actually seen even good pictures of a calabash, do they hold as much tobacco as they appear to? they seem like they hold a good two hour smoke.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
They do smoke great, don't they? I have 2 also, the last one I got from Craigslist for $25 and that was with another pipe thrown in that I didn't even want. The lady who had them found them in the basement of the house she had just moved into and just wanted to get rid of them. So check out Craiglist from time to time, you never know. :puffy:

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
they seem like they hold a good two hour smoke.

Depends. Some have huge bowls. Mine doesn't. It has a good sized bowl, but not huge. Which is fine with me. I have to smoke outside, so I don't want to sit around for two hours. If I could sit inside then I would

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Just had my second bowl. I had some 2 year aged countryside with a cup of kroger breakfast blend coffee. I put just enough creamer in it t make it not black. I used Baileys original(the non alcohalic kind). I have to say, the baccy made it the best cup of coffee I've had in awhile

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
I have a Butz-Choquin Calabash and it is worth every dollar I spent on it. A great smoker for a lazy evening watching an old Sherlock Holmes movie.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
topd: Seeing that Baki Calabash is making me feel feverish...not sure I can be responsible for my PAD related actions sometime in the near future.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I love my calabashbut...it takes a lot of bacci and burns quicker so I wind up consuming more in less time. So it comes out every once in a while. I like the slow mellow drag of a meer or briar so I dont smoke up my stash too fast.

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
mars cigars had (may still have) the b-c calabash at a better price than p&c.
there's an ebay /on-line retailer: www.radicapipes.net who sells genuine austrian-made gourd meerschaums (you will know the famous name...i can't remember it now) for very reasonable prices in three different sizes.

i got booted from smokersforums for suggesting that baki pipoes ( i own one) are horrifically over-priced; baki claims the supply of gourds is too small and his prices are astronomical as a result. i think his margins are just a lot greater than others...heresy that got me booted from the "all things meerschaum" group, lol.

i love my gourd meerschaum but admit that it takes two hands and too long to smoke a full tobacco load. i save mine for when my wife's away and i can puff comfortably indoors, while watching a sherlock holmes movie or contemplating nature thru the deck window.

jrtaster/john

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@jrtaster: I just recently bought my first Baki meer, and imo, it was very reasonably priced and is of exceptional quality. But I will admit my eyes widened a bit when I saw the price on the Baki calabash. I don't know enough about calabashes to make a judgment on that price, but I will say that I suspect it's probably worth it based on the quality of the meer I bought.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
I still haven't bought a Calabash. Trying to learn a bit more about them before I pull the trigger. I am still not clear if the Gourd smokes better than the other options. That is the thing with Pipes. Once you find a great smoker, it becomes a standard or benchmark and half or more of your pipes may become intolerable. Then you may spend money with complete abandon trying to match or surpass the experience!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.