My Bowl is Splitting! Is There A Doctor In The House!?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Was doing some routine maintenance on my Brigham Freehand

and Noticed THIS!

I've had this pipe for quite a while. It was my first good quality pipe;it's taught me many lessons and it's been all over the world with me. Now, how the hell do I save this thing!?

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Lol you guys just love some tampons lately. Oh the irony :lol: I'll give that a try.... it's an excuse to have a few cigars I guess.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Thanks Brit :) It's actually a Brigham. More specifically its called a Country Club, from their Presidential series. They're about in the $150 range.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Like i told you today, all you need to do is smoke 5 or 6 bowls very slowly in it and build a cake over the spiderwebbing. The cracks are very small and shallow and should just cake over fine. Like i told you, i had the same thing happen and the cake solved the problem...and my cracks were bigger and more widespread than yours.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a beautiful pipe worth saving. Hope the cigar ash pipe mud does the trick and it isn't a hole all the way through.

If it is a hole, I'd have a pipe repairman take a look. Norwood or someone like that can probably bring it back from

the brink. But maybe the mud will do the trick.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ya. I was being facetious. I think you can completely ignore the situation. Just don't smoke really hot, or outdoors on a windy day.

Obviously, you don't smoke cheap, goopy aromatics, or the checking would have been covered by dottle and crud in the bottom.

BTW, that's a nice pipe! The Presidential Series Country Club -- about $200 MSRP new.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I think Cortez may be correct. Seems like they made the bowl with green briar. Probably needed to be cured a lot longer than it was.

But a cake on the inside may stop the cracking further. Hopefully anyway.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Jeremy, any follow up here? I hope you were able to save this beautiful pipe.
On another note, not only are we both apparently servicemen (AirForce here) but we share a first name...
j/B

shur

Lurker
Oct 5, 2014
My first thought was "Good job on the pictures"

There's no way I'd be able to get a clear, focused picture of the bottom of a pipe bowl.
Hope it worked out for you.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Pipebaum- Keep an eye on your PM.
So far I've built up a thin layer of cake by smoking shallow bowls. Since, then I've only put about 6 bowls through it, as I've kind of strayed away from this pipe a bit because I've accumulated quite a few higher end pipes. As far as the pics go, its all about the lighting!

Status
Not open for further replies.