PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Seller note says stem is probably not original and I am a total rookie. Please leave your opinion about the stem. This is the first '53 I've seen.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-Dunhill-Tanshell-Patent-Vintage-English-Estate-Pipe-L3522-/271742787210?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4521de8a

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I'd pass IMO a big part of the Dunhill smoking experience is the stem. Even with an original stem that rim is shot and it looks like it might be cracked 8O

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I don't really want it 'wink wink', it's the only birth year pipe I've ever seen on ebay 'heavy sigh', I'll never see another one again 'crying in my beer'!!

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
First I'm no expert. But I've been educating myself on these recently so I have an opinion. :puffy:

Maybe the seller thinks it should be a fishtail. But I don't see an F/T stamp. Looks like a good tapered stem to me. Of course seeing it in person and feeling it might give me a different impression. The funky shaped blasts don't seem to be as popular. You might get it at a good price.
Ask him why he thinks it's a replacement.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Only it's mother could love that pipe. There are always others. The stem is half of the pipe, replacements may be quite functional, but the price should reflect that and it will never be the same experience.
Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.