Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

My BIG TAD haul. 8^) PICS

(27 posts)
  1. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Trying to build up a little Tobacco Nest egg. I had talked about doing this with ammo but missed my window of opportunity. Not making the same mistake.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry, my first post had a jumbo pic so i had to resize it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. thuber88

thuber88

Login to Send PM

Nice job, once I figure out what to smoke, I am planning on stocking up as quickly as possible.
    Takes up less space and much cheaper than trying it with cigars. Let alone not needing to make a dedicated closet/room

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

Thats the way to do it!

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A better investment than Ammo, in my view!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A better investment than Ammo, in my view!
    I need both. I just can't get the other so before we're taxed to kingdom come, I'm going stock up big time. I even got clearance from the tower (girlfriend)

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

Nice haul. SO what all did you get?

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's definitely a huge haul. What's all there?

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. smokedragon

smokedragon

Login to Send PM

Looks like a good haul. I just ordered a few pounds of my favorite Boswell blends today along with some more mason jars.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Zonomo:

I missed the ammo window as well. The only 8 and 9 mike mike I've seen lately has been at the various gun shows I've attended. Even .22 bricks are in short supply. (Oddly, I can still find beau coup .380 for Mrs. Fnord.)

Tobacco is something entirely different. I've been laying in 1.5 to 2 lbs. of tobacco every month for the past five months in addition to the tobacco I smoke on a day to day basis. At this time I prefer English and Oriental blends but, in anticipation of my tastes changing, I'll soon start jarring up a variety of more affordable VA and VA/PERs. If my tastes don't change I'll at least have something to trade.

Come to think of it, if the balloon goes up, a couple of cases of middle of the road Scotch and Bourbon wouldn't be a bad idea to have cellared either. Certainly cheaper than gold and a damned sight more useful.

Fnord

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. rockrat

rockrat

Login to Send PM

Very nice work! I'm guessing you won't have to wait too long to finish stocking up on ammo though, I think you may see prices and availability start to come down in coming weeks and months. No way to back it up, no relevant facts here, just a hunch. I've seen this movie before,in past years. Ammo and firearms are items of intrinsic value. You ever think about reloading? In mean time, I may take a message from you, and start cellaring more tobacco, before same thing happens with it! Take care.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. rev413

rev413

Login to Send PM

Nice Haul Z!

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. crk69

crk69

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice haul there Z...

Proud Member of the BlackBlood Society
    Member NASPC
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's the haul

10 x tins of Moontrance (tried it on a biz trip and LOVED it. Very fruity)
    2 x Tins of Mac Baren 7 Seas - bought due to a recommendation
    5 x Tins of Peterson Sunset Breeze - didnt love my initial but have learned to not go by my first few bowls
    5 x Tins of Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening
    2 x Cornell & Diehl Berry Good
    2 lbs of 1Q
    1 lbs of Lane BCA (emerging as my fav tobacco)

3 lbs of Hobbits Weed on order.

Zo = Happy Man -

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is a nice order. I don't know how long you have been smoking but I will make this statement. Every person I know has had their tastes change in the first year or two or even further down the road. Either they began as aromatic and went to English or they began with English and went to VA and Vapers or other combinations. It is rare for a person to stick with what they started with so I would be careful about loading up your cellar in the first year or two. I would be sampling many different blends in the first year and then see what I may want to stock up on. Now if you have been smoking a number of years then you may have already dealt with a change in tastes.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice going. Is that Moontrance? Good stuff. Have you tried Dan's Blue Note?

Midwest Wood Creations
    Be sure to check out Gecko13's handiwork when in the market for any of your pipe accessory needs such as tampers, cabinets, pipe racks etc.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Only been smoking since Nov 26th. I have sampled a quite a few others, Boswells, etc. So far, i really love these and didnt enjoye my Virginia. Havent tried an English yet but will do so tonight at the Seattle Pipe Club.

@fitzy: yes, Moontrance. Really really love the stuff. Havent tried Dan's Blue Note but thanks for the tip. I shall.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Zono I think you'll really like that Blue Note. Dan also makes a sweet vanilla honeydew that is pretty good.

Another aromatic to try that I think is fantastic is Villiger's 1888 Mid-Day. For me it's one of the better aromatic's out there. I think it taste/smells like maple syrup but I know other's that say toasted marshmallow.

PM if you want to try some English blends. I can send you some samples. I've got Penzance, SG's Squadron Leader as well as Hearth & Home's Magnum Opus. I had Black House but I ran out. I may have a few other English blends as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoked english tobacco off and on between cigar affairs for 20 years after starting with aros. Now that I've totally dedicated myself to the pipe my tastes have flipped to Va, Va/ber/per blends. I've become enamoured with just a straight Virginia lately and find it quite tasty in a subtle way that is very enjoyable. I think if a guy is going to plan for the future I would buy blending tobaccos to make up your own as your tastes change through the years. I'm doing that as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

punkrockarmy

Login to Send PM

I'm jealous! Good going, I hope you enjoy it all!

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice haul!

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hope that you smoke quite frequently.

24 tins of aromatics, along with 6 lbs of bulk aromatics...

Not to be a downer, but since you are only smoking for the past 3 months I hope you realize the magnitude of change that those blends will undergo in a year or so.

The casing fades, the flavouring becomes harder to detect - what you presumably like about those blends will gradually disappear.

Smoke what you like, but please keep in mind that those tins will be a shadow of their former selves in two years.

Cigrmaster speaks the truth. I focused on English blends for quite a while but almost completely lost my taste for them after six months - things change so you should sample widely before embarking on a long term plan.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoke what you like, but please keep in mind that those tins will be a shadow of their former selves in two years.
    my understanding was that the tins will actually increase in flavor due to the oils and fermentation. No?

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started out smoking aromatics many years ago. Over time, I came to really enjoy English/Balkan blends. Those are still my favorites. I have been trying some Va/Per blends, but so far they are not doing it for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aros don't age that well, Z. Plan on smoking what you have within the next 12 to 18 months or swapping out with friends. (The tobaccos that normally do well with cellaring are English, Orientals, VAs and VA/PERs.) Keeping your tins sealed will buy you some extra time but I'd get to huffing and trading, pal.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   barleynbaccy, eightywon, tuold, antbauers, pipesmoker, hawke