PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattsem

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2014
Hi guys
This pipe is my favorite so far. It's a very good smoker in my opinion except for the fact that it's a whistler. I'm not sure if it has always been like that or not, but I just noticed it recently and now it's bothering me.

195754e2-c745-476d-8f8d-63b85a5bbd9d_zps3c7803bd.jpg

Any idea why would a pipe whistle? does it have anything to do with how I pack it or it's an issue with the pipe?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Could also be tobacco trapped in the mortise. Have had that happen with one of my Ben Wades.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
"why would a pipe whistle?"...A better question is why does a whistle, whistle? The answer could be air being drawn over a sharp edge like the edge where the draft hole enters the tobacco chamber- (see this more in bents), or a restriction in the airway as has been mentioned...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
what zack said ... I suspect there's an offset where the stem joins the briar, and a sharp edge that is acting like

a reed in a woodwind instrument to make it whistle. If cleaning doesn't remove obstruction and stop the whistling,

it's time to have a heart-to-heart talk with yourself. If the whistling is spoiling your time with your favorite pipe,

I'd have a pipe repair person open out the airway ever so slightly. You don't want the draw changed, since you love

this pipe, just the whistling eliminated.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Beautiful pipe, BTW, however I notice from the picture that the tenon does not fit entirely into the shank. Could be an air leak at that point. I have 6 Beraldi's and have not encountered this issue. They are great pipes and IMHO very under-rated.

I hope you resolve the issue to your satisfaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.