PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Several years ago a fellow that I knew only online told me a story about a pipemaker friend of his.It seems that if this pipe maker wasn't completely satisfied with a pipe that he made he just gave it to someone.Then he said that he was sending me a pipe.Now this pipe has developed some flaws over the years.The shank expanded and cracked and the stem was loose So I found a stem that fit better.The bowl had a flat spot in it and now it has cracked from top to botton.It's a really beat up old pipe.I feel like an old codger when I smoke it..I have a lot of prettier and shinier pipes so why don't I trash this ugly old pipe you ask.This ugly old beat up pipe smokes great.It smokes Latakia like a champ..So If you find an ugly old pipe don't dismiss it just because of it's looks.It just might be a great smoker...The end of this story is somewhat sad.My online friend who sent the pipe has died,and the fella who gave it to him has quit making pipes do to poor health.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
You know puffy, any true pipe smoker has that one POS they keep smoking. There is a connection to it that you can not describe. It's the feel in the hand, the way it smokes certain blends, or some obscure event that links you to it. It's for some reason "connected" to us. It's a comfort thing we all seek...

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
It seems like your beater pipe just got a new lease on life with the passing of the giver. No substitute for emotional significance.
Condolences to you and all those who knew and loved your dear deoarted friend.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Sorry for the loss of your friend Puffy. I hope you enjoy many more good bowls and keep his memory alive. Cheers my friend.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Hey puffy, sorry to hear about your friend. But sometimes a beat up old pipe is just a beat up old pipe, but we enjoy it for what it is. Like an old shirt, or pair of shoes, we still love them and it brings us comfort. I've got some beat up old clothes and pipes, and I still love them and use them. Keep the memory of your friend alive and the pipe by smoking it while thinking of him. :clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A lot of old beater pipes that never cost much in the first place are first rate smokers. It's a natural fact of life.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Brotherhood of the Traveling Briar. The best pipes, are the ones like yours that have a story to tell. Heartfelt sympathies for the loss of your friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.