PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
Today, I picked up a couple pouches of OTC Prince Albert & Carter hall for roughly the price of one pack of cigarettes. Seemed like a deal and a way to relax my palate for a couple of weeks been smoking light English solid for a month. Taste buds need a break. Here comes the assistance question. Those more familiar with Kaywoodie's may know. What's the difference between the super grain & flame grain pipes? I have read that super grains are highly collectible if they are older. In a mood to purchase one to add to my modest collection of puffers.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I don't know enough about Kaywoodie to answer your question, but I can tell you that

I recently sold a "Prime Grain" full bent Hi-Bole in an eBay auction for about $56.

That knocked my socks off. When I bought it in the mid 1960's it cost $9.99

That's not a bad return on a pipe I smoked for over 45 years.

james

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2011
Super grain first came out in 1931 ish, and flame grain first appeared around 1938...

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
What's the difference between the super grain & flame grain pipes?
I can't speak to Kaywoodies, but when I first began to purchase pipes (over $100) my understanding of "Straight Grain" and "Flame Grain" was as follows:

Straight Grain was just that grain that was straight from the base of the pipe to the rim.

Flame Grains on the other hands were nice to look at but the grain was a bit wavy.

An example of Straight Grain would be my 5C Cavicchi Volcano.

cavicchi5clft-1-600x450.jpg

And an example of Flame Grain would be my Bjarne Free Form Flame Grain.

bjarneflamegrainrt-1-600x449.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.