PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Sadly it is out for delivery but the mail has already been delivered to the office for the day so it looks like my BIG TAD order won't arrive until Monday. :crying: I was hoping to get that order in for this weekend as there are so many blends I wanted to try, in particular the MacB Mixture Scottish Blend and Rattray's Jocks Mixture. Oh well, guess I'll have something to look forward to when I head to the office on Monday.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Mine never showd it was in customs or anything. It showed being accepted by their post office then all of a sudden Canada Post had it. My second box came yesterday about 7pm while I was at work. Enjoy your treats! I'm sure enjoying mine!

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
When you order those 2 14oz tubs do you get charged duty & taxes ? I have been trying to figure out what is the maximum amount I can order without being charged for duty & taxes. So far anytime I order 8oz or less I have not been charged any duty or taxes which is pretty sweet. I am just wondering if I can increase that amount or if the 8oz is the max amount allowed ?

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I have been ordering 2-300 grams at a time with no troubles. Package size is so small, customs are not really concerned with personal users it seems.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
@brassonly go big or go home, is my opinion. Unless your package has been ripped open when it arrives, it's up to you to be a good citizen and contact the government and pay that duty on it, which being a good citizen, I most certainly always do.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Sorry to disappoint you Andrew but I am not doing wrong or trying to hide anything here. I just order my supplies from online retailers & pay for what I get. I have just noticed that when I was ordering a big order I was always charged extra for duty & when I ordered 4 tins or less there was no extra duty added to my order. So I guess if its not a big amount it seems that its not worth the trouble for them to add duty on such small amounts. The way I see it I already pay enough taxes on everything here in Canada so if I can save a few bucks once in a while I really don't mind.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'm with you Brassonly, we pay taxes with every breath we take up here. I'm not looking to circumvent the law, but if they dont charge duty then good for me. If they do charge me its still worth it to buy online. And Andrew thats the funniest thing I've seen posted on here in awhile, in particular from a guy with a Stalin avatar!

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Sorry to disappoint you Andrew but I am not doing wrong or trying to hide anything here. I just order my supplies from online retailers & pay for what I get. I have just noticed that when I was ordering a big order I was always charged extra for duty & when I ordered 4 tins or less there was no extra duty added to my order. So I guess if its not a big amount it seems that its not worth the trouble for them to add duty on such small amounts. The way I see it I already pay enough taxes on everything here in Canada so if I can save a few bucks once in a while I really don't mind.
I'm sure you saw my order list on here in recent posts. I had a big order and it came through. I openly asked Rich during a phone conversation if he knew of any CDA customers having issues with their packages being charded duty and he said if it's under 1kg it usually get pushed along. I plan to order a pound of tobacco every other week for a couple months and see wha happens. If it gets stopped, I'll send it back, eat the shipping ofc, and reorder a smaller amount. I called CBSA and did a sh*t-ton of research before ordering. Apparently we are allowed 8oz through mail order and there's no limit as to how many times per month we can do this. This information came directly from CBSA when I called and spoke to them. They stated the same thing as what Rich said reguarding sending the package back and ordering smaller amounts.

8oz isn't alot of tobacco, I honestly think they are being stingy but I guess they don't want someone skimming from their pockets lol. I have no plan at all to do that. I just want to enjoy good tobacco and not get gang raped with taxes when I buy it.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I can tell you I have been hit with duty on a couple of orders and they were all under 8oz, guess it depends on who inspects it. Most of my orders make it through with no issue.

Dec 24, 2012
The 200g exemption for mail order was repealed a couple of years ago. Don't phone cbsa or cra. A study was done a few years ago that showed more than half the info they gave over the phone was plain wrong or out of date. In any event, as I said, most small packages skate through.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
@Brassonly the extra charges you're getting is for shipping, as once an order gets a certain size the shipping increases, it clearly states on every site that it's up to the customer to contact customs and pay duty, so you aren't getting charged duty automatically, as your order gets bigger it costs more for shipping.

Dec 24, 2012
Andrew - I think you are missing the point brassonly was making. He was simply observing that when he orders 200g or less it is far less likely that Canadian customs will tack on duty to the package, though they of course could if they wanted to. His observation accords with my own experience as well. I believe that is all he was saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.