PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
Just finished my 3rd homemade pipe. decided to experiment with some rustication and stain. I made a rustication tool by grinding a philips head screwdriver into a 4-point tool, but found I liked the round tip dremel bit better.

The stain is oxblood red with the rusticated area darkened slightly with dark brown. Definitely learned some things with this pipe.
3rd-pipe-1-600x271.jpg

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
this also came from amazon. I ordered a block from Pipesandcigars.com, because they listed a straight pipe block, but they actually ran out of stock so I have a 3/4 bent coming in. I thought about pipemakers.org, but I'm not ready to put $60 in a pipe that I might accidentally turn into scrap, and the ordering system is just a bit behind the times when I can use the convenience of amazon... because among many hobbies (and past professions) I'm also a computer geek....

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
That pipe is beautiful. It is special that you are able to personally create pipes to use and appreciate. You might consider placing a pipe on Briar Bid in the future so that other members can use and appreciate your creations.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Very nice. I really enjoy seeing these creations that members are coming up with and sharing. Inspiring me to get a pre-drilled block and try my hand at it, too!

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
What I like most about making these pipes besides de-stressing and exercising my creativity through the work of my hands is this: These pipes may not be the best quality or most refined, but they are like having a one of a kind artisan pipe that no one else in the world will have. It might not be worth anything to anyone else, but to me it is priceless. It's a pipe with a unique story and its my story!
But that's just me! :puffy:

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
Man, that is a nice looking pipe you have. And what's more, is you made it. +1

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
Very nice.. Love the color combination, and the rustication looks awesome as well...

sal57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 6, 2012
joshremy outstanding job,how does it smoke and how long did it take from start to finish.

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
Thats a very good looking pipe, I like the rustication just on part of it. very nice work!!!

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
It smokes very well! :puffy: Going to enjoy another bowl today.
I've found each pipe takes me about 2 to 4 days, but those are some pretty intensive days. I'll do some work during lunch, then a little after work / before dinner, and then straight through til midnight. Once I start a project its hard to put it down, so maybe 12 to 24 hours of solid work. The blocks come pre-drilled so there isnt any work there, just shaping, refining, and finishing. I'm going to try to log the time on my next one. I'm thinking a 2-tone fully rusticated billiard....

Status
Not open for further replies.