PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I sadly had to sell my one Morta pipe awhile back. I really loved the material and after some looking around I figured Chris seems great with the material. I dropped him an email this morning and heard back almost immediately. This is a VERY different experience from my Parks commissions which were a bit over-the-top lavish, expensive, and very time consuming. This one will be a group 4 squat, straight bulldog with fat proportions. Due to the "fat" nature, I'm limited to a black stem which is fine. The price is VERY reasonable. He's got a show next week, but even with delay, I'll have the pipe in three weeks. My Parks commissions take well over a year so this is a nice change. Can't wait to see Chris's work!

May 31, 2012
Awesome Nate.
I've been digging seeing those stealth bulldogs from Askwith on ebay, they're sexy.
Chris made me a pipe and I love the thing, it has been a bulletproof smoker!

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/chris-askwith-made-me-an-allbriar-pipe-pic-heavy

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Wow LC! I love those ovalized shanks. Very nice! I've been hooked on these Bulldogs with exaggerated proportions and I've no idea why. No accounting for taste huh?

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
I have several pipes from Chris. They are all great pipes. He does a fantastic job on Morta. Here is one of my morta pipes from him. Dublin shape with mastadon ivory and silver ring.
002-600x400.jpg

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Wow that's awesome!! I rarely see Morta pipes with collars like that. That's beautiful!! My fav thing about Morta is not being concerned about rim charring.
Love that fireplace!!!

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Thanks, I know your commission will be just as nice. I also have a Morta Billiard with a briar stem. I don't recommend the briar stem as it gets soft while smoking if you hold it in your mouth very long. I like to clench, so I end up having to let the stem dry out. I prefer Chris's ebonite stems. He has great colors and fits them great.
0011-600x450.jpg

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I remain suspicious of Morta and I can't tell you why.
Maybe just the way the blast looks.
Maybe I am just old.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Chris is a gentleman and a wonderful pipe maker. I'm sure he'll do right by you Nate. A lot of folks seem to enjoy making subtle variations on classic or in trend styles but I think Chris likes to explore. Consequently, I think some of his best designs are unique and I suspect he loves a challenge.
I remain suspicious of Morta and I can't tell you why.
I went on a bit of a morta spree (for which Fishnbanjo was entirely responsible), a little while back. What learned was it's as viable as briar and meer, and requires less maintenance than either. Like briar and meer, morta does have a taste that it imposes on whatever you are smoking, but the strength of that flavor depends on the provenance of the morta block. Overall the flavor is reminiscent of peat smoke.
I smoke viriginia flakes predominately and originally found the morta "taint" to be disappointing. However, over time I have come to appreciate to the effect morta has on a blend. Some blends seem to benefit from morta, particularly blends heavy with perique, dfk or latakia.
I will say I've noticed the flavor has abated a bit with break in, but it has not completely dissipated in any of my morta pipes. Though this may occur and I have not smoked these pipes enough.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Nate,

I have 3 Askwith Morta pipes and the smoke beyond reproach, as bigpond mentioned Morta can add a flavor profile of its own for a period but it will dissipate over time most of this has to do with the bog it was farmed from some can be almost nasty and others not even a little taste of bog, you will love his work.

banjo
eca15d4a59ed29dd8795f345c4103a9f6513a17.jpeg

Dec 24, 2012
I have a few Askwiths and they all smoke great. In fact, Chris made my first ever pipe commission, a two billiard boxed set. Link below.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/askwith-yin-amp-yang-pipe-set

Dec 24, 2012
By the way, I did detect a taste from the morta at first, and I think "peat" is a good description. It bothered me at first but I noticed that it eventually went away as I built up cake in the pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One benefit of a commission, if you are so inclined, is that it is an excuse to hold off on other pipe purchases (most if not all). Or not. Sort of depends on your mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.