My 25.00 Dollar E-Bay find! Sorry, pics are HUGE!!!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
I couldnt sleep the other night and found these on The Bay for 25.00 w/shipping. I bought the whole mess of them because I have a 50's Grabow Commodore that I absolutely love smoking and wanted the old Grabow in the pic. Also bought this lot for the at the time unknown pipe with the flame job for rustification. Well...It turns out three of the pipes are EA Carey, including the flamed one I wanted, and the lion I think MAY be Meershuam too! The other unknown pipe has the long stem is G.S. Cross or GS Gross Featherwight #305A. Seeings how I really only wanted two of the pipes I feel I got my moneys worth!

Is there any way to tell if the lion pipe is Meerschaum? I have never seen a Meerschaum up close, especially an old one.

EACareylot002.jpg

EACareylot024.jpg

EACareylot023.jpg

EACareylot026.jpg

EACareylot001-Copy2-Copy.jpg

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Pretty nice looking pipes! As far as the Lion goes a picture of where the stem and the shank meet (picture of the shank end) would help clarify. It is hard to tell from the pictures above. Part of me is saying it could be but part is saying no.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
Heres one. I couldnt get light to shine down into the shaft but about 1/2 inch in it steps down 1/8 then there is the dray hole and it is less than 11/16ths; I tried to poke it with an 11/16th drill bit and it wont go through.

morepipes001-Copy.jpg

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I don't know man. Tough to call. I would say no based on the picture but I could be wrong. I hope a more experienced person chimes in soon for ya.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
Whatever it is some of the markings and carvings are for sure hand made. It almost looks plastic but it wasnt molded...maybe someone will know something for sure.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Meerschaum has a kind of chalky feel to it. You will be able to tell on the shank end/in the shank as those spots tend to not get discolored through regular smoking.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
It(shank end) has a chalky feel like a very tight grained piece of chalk. When scaping it with your nail the nail will chatter across the material like a chalk boards texture. I took a 320 grit emmery board to the end of the shaft to see what would happen and I was left with a biege/white powder with a chalky feel to it.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
Turns out one of the EA Careys has a crack in the bowl...o' well, guess i have a spare stem for the other big bowled one with the flames. Love that pipe! Smokes so cool and slow :puffy: WOO HOO! Cleaned up the little black one and its hallmarked "Kings Cross" and "Featherweight 305" I just got my first Savinelli! :D

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
Being new to the pipe world i think I could use some advice... I want to sell one of the EA Careys, the little long stemmed Savinelli, and the Lion Pipe that appears to be Meershaum; anyone want to help me price these? I know a few of you buy and sell this sort of thing but I have no idea. I just want to get up enough for a 100.00 order that includes a Savinelli Trevi and a bunch of tobacco! I'm so hooked on these pipes that I gave away my cigarettes and dont miss them a bit so now it's OK to buy a new pipe and a few lbs of baccy lol!

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I would suggest checking out completed listings on Ebay for the Savinelli if you can. It would also help to know the exact markings on all of the pipes (except the lion one as it probably does not have any but you can check the stem to see if there is a logo). That would help immensely. What it really comes down to is knowing what people will pay. I always priced mine based off of Ebay or if it was in perfect condition but only a few bowls smoked I went half off of retail or maybe 40% off retail. I never really had a problem selling them, most sold the same day I listed, so maybe the prices were too cheap. But anyways, just do some research online first and then you can kind of gather a price range.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
I didnt know you could check past listing on EBay so I will head over there and get a clue :)

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
You have to be logged in to an account. Click on advanced search and then check the box next to completed listings. It should only show completed listings then. :)

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
Found it! You rock! I put up four of them as a lot. I'm going to hold off on the Lion Pipe to confirm its material and get a better idea of its worth. Considering I wanted two of the five pipes this may work out pretty well! Thanks for all help fellas, you make this site rock!

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
No problem at all brother. You could also sell here on the forums if they don't sell on Ebay eventually. Enjoy!

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
When I sell on Ebay, I generally set it for 5 days and let the market decide. A lot of the "Buy it Now" only pipes go unbought. Just make sure to get enough for shipping. An average small box costs me $5-7 to ship USPS. I don't use bubble envelopes unless it was a $10 pipe.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
No problem at all brother. You could also sell here on the forums if they don't sell on Ebay eventually. Enjoy!

I'm so bad about forums that I didn't even look for a buy/sell section!

If anyone has a thing for these pipes let me know. I can pull the listing any time I want and will do so for a member, even if you just wanted one I would still do it. Every one has been very helpful here so if I can pass it on a little I'm glad to do so! I only want a fair market price for any of them cuz I got lucky getting them and I've learned that most of my luck in life has been a gift and you don't screw up a good thing by being greedy ;)

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
I felt like a total dork for not thinking of you guys first so I posted those pipes that are for sale from my haul in the Buy/Trade section. I'm in to cash or trade so If interested check it out over in that thread and P.M. me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.