My 2 cents on Sixpence :)

(18 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by The Pipe Monk
  • Latest reply from The Pipe Monk
  1. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ive been smoking Ser Pease's blends for a few months now. Took me around 3 months to wrap my head around this one. So here it is, my thoughts in text and video.

TobaccoReviews.com
    - Tobacco Reviews Entry
    Same transcript on my blog site (but prettier to look at) - Pipe Monk Six Pence Review

Video - Six Pence Video Review

Cheers,
    Chris - The Pipe Monk

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  2. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I opted for the written review at TR.com, and it read like the musings of a true aesthete.
    Nice job on the play-by-play throughout the bowl. And yes, I admire Darwin, so I think I'll
    appreciate this blend. My one and only tin has been sitting on a shelf since it came on the
    market, so I won't be in suspense much longer.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Also just read the TR review, wonderful!

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Excellent review for sure! Although I am still relatively new to exploring all the different tobacco blends Six Pence has become one of my favourite blends. Let the cellaring begin.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. gloucesterman

gloucesterman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do like Sixpence. It has some interesting elements you don't usually find in a Vaper. GLP hit a home run with this one.

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks brothers,

I am now slowly working towards understanding Quiet Nights, will share my views on the blend in a few weeks. One thing I have to say, I prefer QN to Gaslight at any time of the day/night.

Cheers,
    Chris
    The Pipe Monk

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do enjoy Sixpence. I'd love to hear how you "get there" on Quiet Nights- I tried it once and found it to be a wholly unenjoyable smoke.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi Tarak,

All GLP blends need time to "breathe",when I first smoked Key Largo, Gaslight, Quiet Nights, SixPence, they were so-so in experience. Infact I actively avoided Key Largo the most and basically smoked my other baccy. I revisited them about 3-4 weeks time and the smoke was very enjoyable. Let them breathe for a month and then try it. Small bowls work wonders for Quiet Nights and Gaslight.

Hope it helps,

Chris
    ThePipeMonk

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My understanding is this has a topping? Is it a in your face kind of thing or subdued background? I smoked a single bowl when it first came out but do not really remember it.

Thanks for the review, TPM.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  10. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a Sixpence fan. It's got a really unique flavoring, and I'm apparently the only one on the world who finds it akin to good Gewürztraminer. Starts off more like fortified wine and settles into northern white. And it's got backbone. I referred to it on my review as "Fillmore light" with an alcohol topping.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Nice review and thanks for sharing.

I like Sixpence. Had a bowl for breakfast I believe. My taste buds can't pick what some others describe but there is a certain allure to it, a topping I suppose. It's not an in your face, or my face I should say, more like a fermenting alcohol aroma and flavor. Except for a few blends, I'm not a huge GLP fan. This is not a knock on Greg but just my tastes lean more away from the majority of what I've had from GLP. But I bought one tin to try and like it enough I'll add more when I can.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. stanlaurel

stanlaurel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks very much Chris. I am really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Quiet Nights and Gaslight.

In the short term, can you please define "breath"? Does this mean move it to a sealed jar? Or does this also imply allowing it to be exposed to the open air?

Also do you have any thoughts on aging GLP Latakia blends in the tin? Are they good from the start? Or do they need some age?

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. stanlaurel

stanlaurel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I meant breathe. Sorry.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@MrEnglish and @Booker - Call me Chris, brothers. Yup Sixpence has a medium dose of sweet sweet brandy. It's quite subtle when you smoke it but always gives you pleasurable hint of its existence and doesn't vanish from the leaf at all even when you jar it in a mason jar for long periods of time. That's what I like about Greg Pease's blends they keep on unraveling themselves with every bowl.

@Stan What I mean is just take it out of the tin and jar it for a few weeks. I would recommend you having a bowl fresh out of the tin and then after 2/4/6/8 weeks. You'll see a very pleasurable change in the leaf. GLP Blends are good 2/4 weeks out of the tin but become something really epic after 5/10/15 years on them. I am currently hunting for aged GLP blends so that I can share my experience and compare them to younger tins for the same blend.

@perique I need to get hold of the blends you mentioned, are they still available or went out of production?

Cheers,
    Chris
    ThePipeMonk

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. stanlaurel

stanlaurel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks again Chris.

GLP Blends are good 2/4 weeks out of the tin but become something really epic after 5/10/15 years on them.

This means 5/10/15 years still in the tin?

I have an 8 year old tin of both Abingdon and Odyssey but I can't part with them.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@perique I need to get hold of the blends you mentioned, are they still available or went out of production?

Sorry, Gewurtztraminer isn't a tobacco blend. It's a white wine varietal that Sixpence's topping to be reminiscent of once the stronger alcohol flavors burn off.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. snowhill

snowhill

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the interesting review and video. I really enjoy Sixpence...it's one of my favorite GL Pease blends. And you are definitely spot-on, it needs to breathe first.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just ordered another 8oz of Six Pence, will be getting it in 2 weeks or so.

Chris

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cshubhra, weezell, craig61a, milehighpiper, georged, trouttimes, pepesdad1, acidpox, ssjones, sasquatch, chasingembers