PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
I am going to start smoking a pipe and need help. I want to stop smoking cigarettes and had cut down using e-cig and liked the flavors. I just have some questions that you all might help me with. I am hooked on the Peterson Dracula pipe I like the 221 sandblast fishtail. & the 68. Should I choose this one for my 1st? I have never packed or lit or even know what I am doingni just know I want to start. I have always loved the smell of someone elses pipe. Next what shape should I get the bent down or straight? Is there a good place to get a good deal on pipes and accessories? Could you also help me out on tobacco? Thanks alot marine33 from OHIO!
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
It's all a matter of preference on the type of pipe when it comes to the shape of the bowl and stem. As for how to go about smoking, it's a lot of trial and error even if you read up on how to do it. Gravity fill in three stages, light tamp with the thumb, light it, give it a light tamp and it should be good to go. Relights are common, so no need to worry. I have a Dracula, but don't smoke it. Just have it to have it. Peterson's are good pipes though, I've owned a few.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Welcome to the forum!
The Dracula series would be a great entry- to mid-level pipe. As for shape, the bent might deliver a cooler smoke but would be more inclined to trap moisture, thereby causing a 'gurgle'. Honestly, just go with the one you like the look of more.
The typical thing is for new smokers to start with cheap 'aromatic' (flavoured) blends, but this has always struck me as poor advice, as such tobaccos are liable to burn hot and unpleasant with the still-developing technique typical of the novice. My advice would be to get a few different types of blends I decide which you prefer. I'd suggest a straight Virginia, a Vaper (Virginia and perique) and an English (latakia-based).

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum, marine33. Pete's are nice pipes and shows that you are willing to commit to the hobby. I would also recommend that you pick up a corn cob pipe to use as a practice pipe. Cobs are very forgiving and you'll be able to work on packing, lighting and, especially, cadence. No sense in risking ruining a good pipe from the start. A decent Missouri Meerschaum costs a few bucks and will last a very long time.

Good luck with your persuit and check in here often.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
First, welcome to the forum, and to the hobby.
You have come to the right place to learn about pipes, tobacco and the hobby in general. I think that starting with a pipe that you're drawn to aesthetically is smart. You're more likely to smoke it if you like its look. I'd also encourage you to buy yourself a handful of cob pipes. They are cheap to buy, last a long time, and allow you to have a ready stable of pipes to try different tobaccos in.
As far as determining which tobaccos to try... I'd encourage you to reach out to Rich at 4 Noggins by email, and to work with him to buy some sampler packs of different types of tobacco. If you'd rather just quietly buy online, 4Noggins and Smokingpipes.com both offer sampler packs of different tobacco types for people to purchase.
There are quite a few posts here and on YouTube designed to teach new pipe smokers how to load, light and smoke a pipe. Take a wander through and see what resonates.
I look forward to hearing how your first smoke goes!
-- Pat
PS - with regards to bent vs. straight, I think it's most important to buy the shape you like. Smoking differences between the two are going to be less of an issue for you than just learning how to smoke a pipe will be.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Welcome Aboard pipemate!
You've come to the right place for advice. From young to old (and sometimes ancient :P), you'll find a vast depth of knowledge here. I would certainly go the sampler route like Pruss said. Don’t worry about finding the right tobacco for you at first, it’s probably not going to happen. There’s just a whole lot to like in the tobacco and pipe world. Start with a sampler and try and find out what kinds of tastes you're more geared towards. Then after you find out what types of tobacco you like, start trying different kinds of that type.
As far as pipes go, it’s whatever your heart desires. They all pretty much work the same, however keep in mind that if you spent a bunch of $$$ on a nice new pipe and smoke it w/o knowing what you're doing you could potentially ruin your investment. So be sure to grab a few cobs to work on your technique before you fire up that nice new Peterson :)

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
I recently acquired a Peterson (my first Pete) Dracula 221 sandblast and so far I really like it. Haven't put anything goopy through it yet (and don't plan to) but she is smoking fine. Only other full bent that I own and like better is a Viking sandblast. Cheaper than a Pete but smokes like a dream. I think Viking are lower level Bjarne but could be mistaken. There is an eBay seller who also runs a shop out of Dublin who has some 221's in stock for good price. I emailed them looking for specific characteristics and they went through all five of them and picked me a winner. Threw in a nice lighter as well. Pipe Divan maybe it was? Pipes & Cigars has some good specials on pipes as well if you dig around. I enjoy full bent and straight equally so you might just have to experiment to find a preference. Good luck and enjoy.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Welcome brother.I have seen the Dracula and its a nice pipe no doubt.I would pick up a cheapo pipe beat the crap out of that then when you got it going good on packing lighting etc move in to that beautiful Dracula.As far as tobaccos go dryseason91 suggested a Virginia,vapor(Virginia and perique) and a English.I think that's a good idea.Stay with the forums for good advice and please give the pipe a chance i think you'll love it.Keep us posted on your experiences brother.happy puffs.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Buy a corncob pipe to start. $7.00 at your local tobacco shop and get a bunch of samples. Try smelling the house blends in the shop. It doesn't always taste like it smells, but it will give you a rough idea of what you're getting. If you find that you like it, try moving up to a Dr. Grabow. $30 and they are great smoking pipes. You don't have to spend a fortune on a high end pipe to get a great smoke.

maxima

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
I am novice here too.. my first error was buying wrong pipe :) so I just want to share in hope it helps someone new... the weight amongst the over things..
I bought good pipe but its heavy.. I didn't realize until I bought another pipe which was much lighter.. and when I felt the difference I realized I made mistake... so for me - no pipes with weight above 40-45gr... lightweight pipe makes relaxation significantly more enjoyable (for me)..
if i'd to start again - i'd look for the weight, looks, price (hoping a bit higher price would warrant better make/materials). but my experience based on pipes under $100. bear that in mind..

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Welcome 33 ! I agree with Pa and Daniel. Buy a couple of MM cobs (NOT Chinese) - or a bag of MM seconds if you are into surprises. You'll have an instant rotation and can decide if pipe smoking is for you. After awhile, then splurge on you first briar pipe.
I have a four Petersons and have never had any problems with them. I like the 999 shape, have it in a Kildare and a Rosslare. Savinelli makes a fine pipe also. Right now, Pipe and Leaf has Savinelli Series III unstained bowls for $50.00. I have a Tortuga, and a Tiger Oscar along with the Series III. All are great pipes!
Buy your tobacco in bulk at first. You can get 1-2 oz very reasonably, buy a variety, and store it in clean Mason jars. Then comes the hard part - patience. After 40 years, I still consider myself "learning" the art of the pipe.
We have excellent sponsors, all listed on the left, that have a wide range of pipes, tobacco and accessories. Remember, pipe cleaners are cheap and should be used. Now comes the fun part . . . ready, set, go!

mrdaniels

Lurker
May 5, 2014
Welcome to he forum, I am new here as well. I cannot add anything that is not mentioned above, but I would espically agree with the acquisition of a MM cob or two along with that Peterson. They may be inexpensive and not the most aesthetically pleasing to some, but offer a wonderful smoke. I do not own one myself, but have tried many and will soon be chaning that as I want to start puffing a bit more and don't want to shell out the money for a good briar past what I already have in my head. Y'all said that this whole PAD thing would happen and I am resisting the urge, but it is difficult :).
From expereince, I cannot recommend enough to get a couple of samples of a virgina, English/Balkan, and a quality aro to start off with. If you have ever had a real cigar the vast majority of tobacco's out there should not take you buy surprise by their "punch". I have not tried any tobaccos that I have not liked except for some low quality aros that I have tried,

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Welcome to the forum.

As for your question, there are lots of ways you could go and you've already been given some good information. When I started out I bought a basket pipe from my local tobacconist and some Lane 1Q. The pipe was an inexpensive briar pipe, but it smoked pretty well and the tobacco was what I expected. I still have my basket pipe and still smoke it. I still enjoy 1Q from time to time as well, but there are a lot of great tobacco's out there. Since you're coming over from cigarette smoking you might want something with a bit more nicotine to help the transition, but that comes back to preference. My suggestion would be to find a nice Savinelli pipe ($50-$90) and a nice mild English blend. I have 4 Savinelli pipes and they're all great smokers and a great pipe for the price. Good luck with your search and good luck with your new adventure into pipe smoking.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Thanks all for great advice I will post more on my experience when I get home but just wanted to tell u how much I appreciate you all helping me out!

harlockfan

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2014
I would just get the pipe you want. Your tastes will change on what shapes you prefer. I still like bent dublins but now I have bought two straight pipes. Hopefully the PAD will leave and never return. Haha!

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Well I filled my pipe and had it going but went out. I feel I am hitting too hard tomkeep lit and its getting not in my mouth. I just got back from tobacco store and gotnsome good tobacco a house blend and can't wait to tell the difference. That otc stuff is called Blenders Gold royal cherry chavendish and its jot that good.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Welcome to the forums! You should be able to gently just puff away. If it seems too difficult and you need to put effort into drwing smoke, you may have packed the pipe too tight and there isn't enough air to keep the flame going either. I pack my pipe in thirds (Everyone seems to do this differently) gradually increasing pressure each additional layer and check the draw each time. It should feel a bit like sucking milkshake through a straw. Also try a charring light and a tamp before really lighting up. Best of luck to you. Hope this helps.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
I think I'm packing way too light. It doesn't feel like a milk shake but I will try and get it there thank u!

Status
Not open for further replies.