PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
My first Yello Bole with the "&". Much larger than I expected. Not sure I wanta keep it actually. It seems to large to smoke. Its almost unsmoked it seems. Is it worth enough to save in a collection. Value range?
KB&B1.jpg

KB&B2.jpg

KB&B3.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One or two oversized bowls might be a good idea, for those times when you have deep thoughts to

work through. I think resale value would depend a lot on the audience. Among some Kaywoodie

collectors, this might bring a heathy sum (don't know the market so I won't guess the price).

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I have two KBB Yello Bole imperials that I really like. One is a large bowled billiard that I really like for those blends that need some contemplation and development. Mine are both briars so I think they are great pipes, but I have heard people do not care for the brylons because they just get too hot.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
I have heard people do not care for the

brylons because they just get too hot.
I had a plastic pipe once ... absolute crap ... I can't remember if it was Brylon or not, but after that, I decided I was going to stick with tried and true briar ...

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
That looks like it's meer lined. It looks like a peterson system pipe as well.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
If I were in the market for another pipe like that I'd pay fifty to sixty dollars for it in that condition. I'm sure there are collector's who might get into a bidding frenzy and pay more. I'm pretty cheap when it comes to things like this, so take my estimate for what it's worth....

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Yello Boles are the equivalent of a "second" line of pipes as most already know. The pipe looks to have been smoked only a couple times because the honey coated bowl is still in great condition, it is not meerschaum. However with so many fills on the bowl it will be a hard sell IMO. Most Yello Boles do have fills, some more than others. The secret is to find one with fewer fills if possible. Even though fills will not detract from the smoking qualities of a pipe they are flaws in the briar which are not very attractive. I have smoked, and collected many of these over the years and IMO if you can garner 20 bucks for the pipe you are doing very well. Good luck with your decision to keep or trade.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Im going with 40 bucks at least. I have seen smoked ones go that high before. I just picked up one that would be similar except that it has the top third of the stem broken off. So I will cut a new button and that way it won't be so long either. Its got the 4digit number and Honey cured briar, but no clover on the band like yours.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Andrew:
I'm only just now learning about Yello-Boles myself, thanks to a nice article in the new NASPC newsletter. The "yellow bowl" is a result of being cured in honey, apparently.
They're not really the kind of thing I'm looking for in a pipe, but it's cool to know they're out there. And they are apparently quite good smokers.
Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yello-Bole stili makes some briar pipes, along with the Brylon pipes. Despite their low-eschelon image,

I suspect they are at least serviceable, maybe pretty good. They have stingers, metal inserts in the shank,

but these are designed to be removable, which makes them somewhat more flexible than the more respected

Kaywoodies that have the Drinkless screw-in stems. There are also some Kaywoodies that have push bits.

What's my point? American manufactured tobacco pipes are still a pretty good product.

Status
Not open for further replies.