Tags:  No tags yet. 

My 1st Commission - Thomas James

(7 posts)
  • Started 10 months ago by pianopuffer
  • Latest reply from pianopuffer
  1. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

So I commissioned my first pipe a few weeks ago from Pennsylvania-carver Thomas James. I first heard about him from the Blue Room Briars website, and was quite fond of his work, especially one piece they had of his, a chubby Dublin.

It was already sold, but I knew immediately that I wanted Tom to make me one (as a birth year pipe for my eldest daughter), with some slight modifications. Tom and I chatted a couple of times, discussing preferences, but to be honest, I let him take the lead on things. My only real specifications were that it was a sandblast in his "British Tan" stain.

I will post pictures when it arrives, but thought I would express how much fun it was to work with another artist on a one-of-a-kind piece that has very special significance for me. Tom was a complete joy to work with, answering my questions and chatting with me about his own influences and styles. A gentleman in every sense.

I can't wait until it shows up and will report back when it does.

Posted 10 months ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It sounds like the beginning of a beautiful friendship, you and your new pipe!

Posted 10 months ago #
  3. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He makes a very nice pipe. His spade scoop shape was one of the first artisan pipes I ever bought. Great choice of carver for a commission.

Posted 10 months ago #
  4. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can't wait to see it. Quit teasing.

Posted 10 months ago #
  5. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like Tom's work very much.

Posted 9 months ago #
  6. delkhouri

delkhouri

Login to Send PM

I have gotten to know Thomas through the Columbus show over the past few years. He is a nice guy and he make a really really good pipe. IMO he doesn't get enough credit or accolades for his work. Not to hijack the thread but I have two of his pipes and thought I would share to add some eye candy to this thread while we wait for the commission to be completed.

"I believe that many who find that 'nothing happens' when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand"
    ~ C.S. Lewis
    Posted 9 months ago #
  7. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

No worries, those are both beautiful pipes! Tick tock, tick tick...

Posted 9 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cshubhra, cossackjack, georged, jaytex969, nhhiggy, oldgeezersmoker, ashdigger, danimalia