PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
So I commissioned my first pipe a few weeks ago from Pennsylvania-carver Thomas James. I first heard about him from the Blue Room Briars website, and was quite fond of his work, especially one piece they had of his, a chubby Dublin.
It was already sold, but I knew immediately that I wanted Tom to make me one (as a birth year pipe for my eldest daughter), with some slight modifications. Tom and I chatted a couple of times, discussing preferences, but to be honest, I let him take the lead on things. My only real specifications were that it was a sandblast in his "British Tan" stain.
I will post pictures when it arrives, but thought I would express how much fun it was to work with another artist on a one-of-a-kind piece that has very special significance for me. Tom was a complete joy to work with, answering my questions and chatting with me about his own influences and styles. A gentleman in every sense.
I can't wait until it shows up and will report back when it does.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It sounds like the beginning of a beautiful friendship, you and your new pipe!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

He makes a very nice pipe. His spade scoop shape was one of the first artisan pipes I ever bought. Great choice of carver for a commission.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I have gotten to know Thomas through the Columbus show over the past few years. He is a nice guy and he make a really really good pipe. IMO he doesn't get enough credit or accolades for his work. Not to hijack the thread but I have two of his pipes and thought I would share to add some eye candy to this thread while we wait for the commission to be completed.
p1010012-600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.