PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Good heavens, I have posted 1000 times putting myself in view of a group of people, most of whom I have never met in person. What an experience this has been! We share a hobby in--a love of pipe smoking, and yet we are such a diverse group of people. Some of us smoke only one type of pipe, some of us have a more eclectic selection. We find that there are a wide number of tobaccos that satisfy our taste preferences: mild, strong, Virginia, Burleys, aromatics or nonaromatics, Latakia., perique or not. And we respect the choices of someone else's taste buds. Some of us don't smoke pipes at all, but simply collect them because they think pipes are beautiful. Some of us wear suits to work, and push pencils across pieces of paper; some of us wear jeans and T-shirts and get our hands dirty on the job, and at the end of the day it's that pipe stuffed with our favorite tobacco that makes us truly a unified community of men and women who confer with one another about the experiences of our hobby, the joys and sorrows that come into our lives, even to vent about something or other.

If I have posted 1000 times, it means that I have read at least 10,000 or more of your postings, and I think that number is itself a bit on the conservative side. For that experience I have all of you to thank, because you have enriched me far beyond my ability to describe to you. And if anything I have posted has contributed in any way to your already vast store of pipe and tobacco knowledge, then I am in humble appreciation of the gifts we have all shared with one another.
1000 posts! Thank you for accepting me as one of you. It is truly a pleasure to be here.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Ravkesef, your post show wisdom and experience. You are an asset to the forum. Thanks!

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
Eric,

I would like to thank you for your post, well written and sums up our hobby quite well. I must say that you are part of the reason I joined and participate in the forums. I have listened to almost all of pipes magazine radio shows (currently at ep.62) and your episode with Brian ranks in one of my top 3. What I love about the shows is actually the same reason Brian often receives criticism; its that his interviews are more of a 'talk' with his guests. And while they are related and are born out of our common love, we get to know more about the community of pipe smokers.

Your story had me riveted. As an alum of a Catholic university here in eastern Canada and with a degree in religious studies (focus on Judeo-Christian), your interests aligned very much with mine but the essence of my respect comes down to your belief in dialogue. Its a wonderful word and relates back to why I love the radio show. Being able to sit down and speak with others and learn from them is important to being human.

Thank you again for your post and your presence on the forums.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
As a newcomer to these fórums, I know we newbies are lucky to have you vetrans around to guide us through our journey and get us off to a good start.
I'm sure newbies like myself come and go like a revolving door, but you stalwarts are what keeps this Enterprise afloat and what attracts us newbies to this exclusive club.
Great inspiration X 1000!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Congratulations. This is the first forum I ever joined, and still the only one. I was in awe of those who had several hundred posts and thought I didn't have much to contribute but the group here was so welcoming and fun that I decided to hang here every day. The posts add up but I've gotten more from the pipers here than I've given. It's about sharing and enjoying the hobby with like minded folk.

Carry on and continue to have fun here.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Well done Ravkesef! I really enjoy your posts and you were a stalwart of the much-missed StarCat Experiment, which showed the wonderful insanity of many on this forum. Thank you for your insight - much appreciated!
Andy

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Well done chum - 1000 posts is a wonderful achievement and I have enjoyed those I have read in the brief time I have been floating around on the forum. I will always remember your comment…."The earth is flat" to which I replied 'No it is not. It is dish shaped otherwise we would fall of the edge".

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Congrats on reaching this milestone. You expressed our collective relationship quite well.

I always enjoy reading your posts, and I value your opinions very much. Here's to wishing you another 1K! :clap:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Thank you for your participation, Rabbi Eric.
Your posts and insight are always enjoyable reading and your presence classes up the joint.
Here's to your next 1,000.
Fnord

jacmarczacc

Lurker
Jul 26, 2017
Hi from a newbie.
Although I've been a pipe smoker since I was 16 ( all thanks to my Grandad) I still keep my tobacco in the wrapper (Clan) but recently I've thought about keeping it in a kilner spring lid jar do I use a humidifer or not! As My Grandad used to add a piece of cabbage leaf to his pouch every now and then but only for a few days at a time, he claimed it helps keep is moister level, good or bad idea?
Many thanks in advance
Marc uk Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.