PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
As I go through my rotation and also try different tobaccos in different pipes, I've noted at least two instances of getting less flavor from the cob than from the briar.
Is this an occurrence anyone else has had?
FYI, the cob is an MM Tom Sawyer. The tobaccos are John Cotton's #1 and Balkan Sasieni. Several different briars.
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

May 4, 2015
Blends can have some different characteristics in different pipes for sure. What I'd say in your particular situation is that Tom Sawyer bowl is TINY. I only smoke pretty simple burley in my small cobs, because they don't really have the room to get complex blends really cooking like I think they should. Might be a whackadoodle theory, but that's where I've ended up.
I'd get ya a bigger cob, say a Country Gentleman or something, and see how you feel.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
One of my briars is smaller than the cob, a "pocket pipe", but it gives better flavor on the JC#1.
I know there's lots of variables. Just searching for possibilities.
jay-roger.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Put Burley bombs and aromatics in cobs, and you'll be very happy with the results.

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
I agree with pipesmokingtom, a blend can be quite different from pipe to pipe, which is why it's important to try a blend in many types of pipes and chamber sizes to get the best from a tobacco.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have to agree with the OP to some degree. My Mark Twain cob initially tasted very sweet as I was told it would do but now pretty much broken in that sweetness has gone. Now pretty much everything I smoke in it is 'missing' something that I don't experience with my briars.
FVF in any of my briars is stellar, smoked in my cob it's just another Virginia flake. Westmorland Slices in a briar tastes wonderful, in my cob it's just a strong smoke without any particular flavours.
I do intend on buying another cob, very different from the Mark Twain just to see if it is indeed the pipe or just me.
Regards,
Jay.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
This morning, I loaded some McClelland's Red & Black flake into the cob and it was a fine experience.
I've been struggling to enjoy the R&B in a briar.
I did dry it quite a bit, also, which I'm sure is part of the improvement.
Still learning the 'lay of the land" in Pipe-World...
jay-roger.jpg

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I think Tom hit the nail on the head.
In tend to find latakia blends and aromatics give more flavor in a larger diameter pipe.

May 4, 2015
The wide open draw of a cob might be playing a part in this as well.
But hey - there's nothing wrong with preferring tobacco X in a cob and tobacco Y in a briar, so why sweat it?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't mean this as a put-down since I've made the oversight, but be sure you aren't smoking through a filter, easy to miss with a new cob bought at a convenience store, when you're just not thinking about it. This is likely NOT the problem, but it's happened. Otherwise, I agree that briar may do best with subtle, complex, multi-leaf blends. Cobs love burley and aromatics, but can do strong simple English and Balkans too.

May 4, 2015
^ Good point. Those little Tom Sawyers aren't filter pipes, though. I really suspect it's the size of the chamber in combination with the open draw.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"The wide open draw of a cob might be playing a part in this as well."
Tom, my Mark Twain cob is a filter pipe but I made my own reducer which does exactly what I intended it to, however I still don't get the best from my blends whilst smoking it. I think the only exception would be Condor Flake, that smokes fine.
Regards,
Jay.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
No filter in mine. After the McC VA bowl, I also enjoyed a rubbed out load of Bold Kentucky in it.
No rhyme or reason to what works and doesn't work.
Thanks for all the input.
jay-roger.jpg

aeropuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2016
Since I smoke aero's in my pipes, It doesn't make any difference what pipe I smoke in. Cob or pear or briar.

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
I used to have Tom Sawyer. PS' English Luxury smoked great in there for first few times. And it started to deliver faint taste with other English blends and eventually bland. After many other attempts with other types of blend, it still was tasteless.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
My experience is much the same as Duane's and Ray's. In my hands, cobs work fairly well with burleys and aros...not so well with much else.
Ymmv.

Status
Not open for further replies.