PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I'm coining a new term, at least I've never seen it used before: Mustache Note. You guys who sport a big bushy cowboy stache, a la Sam Elliott or Wilford Brimley style already know what I'm talking about. Sorry ladies. I don't get much from the room note especially when my pipe is the one creating it. But with some of my favorite tobaccos shortly after my pipe I get the greatest mustache note!
I'm no longer concerned about room note. I want to see TobaccoReviews.com start rating by mustache note!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Thanks puffdoggie. I didn't use the search feature first and should have.
When I hear & read comments about tobaccos having a hint of chocolate or a nuance of currants & raisins for example, and I sometimes don't get that I just assume my palate is burned out from too many years of hot peppers & spicy foods. But I definitely get those suttle notes from my mustache. I guess they don't call them "flavor savers" for nothing!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have one of those! There is indeed a note, my wife used to comment on it.
In my younger days I used to offer mustache rides (to the opposite sex of course), price negotiable and dependent on weight and the distribution of said weight. I comped more than one rider. For some reason, which I never fathomed, this particular ride was wildly successful when I worked in Russia and Japan, less so in the US.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Figured you might get arrested for something like that in Russia.
I really enjoy the note from my mustache. It fills the gap between pipe bowls.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Perhaps the web site should have a query of who has a mustache. I certainly have born one since age 16 when I got hit by a 7 iron trying to teach someone to play golf. Hides the scar nicely and frankly I can't shave across the scar so it will be permanent...

Ha ha, yeh, and beard note. I can sometimes get an aroma from my beard when I lay my head down on my pillow. I don't think my beard ever fully loses the aroma.
But, there's also the teeth note. I can taste most Virginias on my teeth for hours after I smoke. If I am where I can't smoke, I'll find myself running my tongue across my teeth to get that tangy Virginia taste.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Big beards are one reason I don't like nose warmers & short pokers. Lighting one up, it's just a little too close for comfort!

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
because of work I can not grow my beard but I have a goatee and it does hold the pipe tobacco smell

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Had a chance to sample a bowl of Peterson's Nutty Cut this afternoon. An aro I probably wouldn't buy without trying it first. It left a very nice mustache note of dried fruits & macadamia nuts on the stache. I think I'll pick up a tin for the holidays and special occasions. Still enjoying the note!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Glad it was Skippy Creamy, Warren. Can't have peanut chunks in the stache! Then if would be more than a flavor-savor.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Warren I have an old codger in the nurseing home who has a big cowboy mustache, smokes, I buy him his smokes as he does not have much money, he's a talkative sob I believe he was vaccinated with a phonograph needle, to get him to shut up I feed him a peanut butter sandwich, grinds him to a halt, loves peanut butter so that's the only time I get peace and quite when I visit him. LOL

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
MMMmmm, peanut butter!
A pilot in Nam, a colonel I believe, wrote a little cook book filled with recipes he'd gathered from different guys om the field. It's an easy way of cooking with peanut oil.
Here's one I thought to be extraordinarily good:
One thick (1/2inch or so) slice of Bermuda or Vidalia onion, slathered in peanut butter. Wrap it in foil and todd it on the coals of a bbq or camp fire. Come back in 40 minutes or so, dependent on heat, and squeeze the onion. When it start to soft and feels a bit mushy, it is ready to eat.
Any sweet onion will work.
Wished I'd kept my copy.
Do the same with a frankfurter, just cook through, and you're in for a treat.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"Here's one I thought to be extraordinarily good:"
Core the center of a Vidalia onion out like you would an apple. Fill the cavity alternating between tabs of butter & a tablespoon of brown sugar. Cover the outside of the onion with butter and wrap in aluminum foil. Cook on grill as described. Delicious when served with steak and other grilled veggies.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
quarter up a vidalia and wrap up halfway with tinfoil...swab a thick pat of real butter between each slab and soak her in la. hot sauce...wrap her all the way up and grill her.
there are 3 reasons I haven't shaved in right at 40 years...food and baccy are two of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.