PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Greetings pipers of the Pacific Northwest.
I'll be in Seattle for a week at the end of April attending a symposium and trade show at the Washington State Convention Centre. Are there any must visit B&Ms in the area for me to visit? I know that Washington State has some of the toughest anti-tobacco legislation in the US; but remember that I'm from Ontario, where we tax taxes. I'd love to visit a landmark and bring some tins home.
Thanks for your thoughts friends.
-- Pat

Jan 8, 2013
Pruss, I have not found one. The best one in the state seems to be the Tinderbox in Tacoma, and it will take you nearly an hour to get down there from the Convention Center. I believe Rain City Cigar is actually up in Seattle, but I have not been there yet, so I can't really speak on it's greatness.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks, fadingdaylight, for the insight. Based on the lack of responses, I had a sinking feeling that this might be the case. Looks like I'll just have to resort to touring cafes. I hear that there are a few of those in Seattle.
-- Pat

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Pat:
I think it might be worth the trip to head south. In addition to the Tinderbox, you've also got the Seattle Pipe Club located at Smokey Joe's Cigar Lounge on tribal lands in the town of Fife, just east of Tacoma.
Fnord

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
But cafe visits are highly recommended. When they say Seattle likes coffee they aren't kidding. I fly through there about every two weeks and their airport coffee is awesome, the cafés are even better!

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I don't know of any "must visit" tobacco stores in Seattle. But there are a couple of stores not too far from the convention center.
There is the Market Tobacco Patch at

Address: 1906 Pike Pl #6, Seattle, WA 98101

Phone:(206) 728-7291

It's just a block or so north of the main entrance to the Pike Place Market. It's very small and sort of hidden in the Stewart Building, so you will miss it unless you know it is there. I'm always able to find a tin of something I haven't tried yet when I go there.
There is also Kirsten's Pipes at

910 Lenora Street, Suite 156

Seattle, WA 98121

Phone 206.264.2966

It would be worth visiting if they intend to start making their Kirsten pipes again. So far I have only heard rumors about that. If you go there, please ask what their plans are and let us know.
If you go to either of these places, just be prepared for Washington's 95% tax on tobacco.

Rain City Cigar is a couple of miles south of downtown and I have never been there either so I won't comment.
The Seattle Pipe Club meets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month. But Smokey Joe's is still a nice place to sit and have a smoke.
Good luck. I hope our Northwest weather treats you well. It's beginning to improve.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Philip and Jim, thanks for the advice. Philiip, I appreciate all the details, I'll stop in on both if I can.
Cheers,
-- Pat

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
+1 Philip
Pat, after you've visited Kirstens please let us know how it stays in business! The last time I called them, they weren't even interested in mailing tobacco within the state, let alone pipes!
I'd suggest the Tacoma Tinderbox, but Seattle's roads to and from the freeway are confusing (the freeway actually goes thru the center of Seattle, and under the Convention Center). Best to just enjoy the Pike Street Market, and a few good coffee houses (not necessarily Starbucks) and remember that you can't smoke within 25 feet of any business, or public place. Welcome to the barren lands of Washington!

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
PRuss-- Hey man, if you have a chance head up north to Bellingham there are some decent shops up there. Nothing like the legendary B&M's I have read about on this site though. Rainy City Cigar is a cigar store that has a couple pipe tobaccos, not much though. Oh and another thing be sure to try some Seafood while there. Anthony's is good and so is Ivar's restaurant (the actual restaurant, not the fish and chip bar but that's good too if you want fish n chips) Oh, and you have to try a Tatstrami from TAT'S Deli on Finney. The best Pastrami Sandwich the West Coast has to offer in my opinion.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey plateauguy and bigboi. Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I am not sure how far afield I'm going to get. I am pretty much booked solid for the six days I'm in Seattle. So I may have to be satisfied with the places I can wander. I do know that I will be eating and drinking (coffee and other things) well, and definitely plan to have some good seafood while I'm on the ocean.
Cheers!
-- Pat

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
-Pat while your in Seattle PM me we may be able to get together for a smoke and a chat!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
You bet, bigboi, that would be lovely. Once I get a handle on my schedule I'll toss you a PM.
-- Pat

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Pruss ...
Having had the occasion to be stuck in downtown Seattle and limited to the places one can wander, I thought I'd give you this alternative that I stumbled on while wandering ...
Arcade Smoke Shop

1522 5th Avenue # 101

Seattle, WA
This place isn't just a hole in the wall, it's a down some stairs hole in the wall ... not big, not fancy, not well staffed and no big deal ... but, it IS a pipe/cigar store and it is within wandering distance when downtown.

Given it's constraints, it's more than you'd imagine you'd find when you first walk in ... it shares the downstairs space with a restaurant and you can't smoke in there, but hey, it's Seattle after all and they're notoriously smoker unfriendly, but this place has managed to survive for a couple of dozen years ...
I'd never go out of my way to find this store, but when you're unable to go out of your way, it's at least a spot to give a look-see to ...

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Awesome tip Steves. Thanks for looking out for me, mate.
Peck, given my career path I kinda have to make a trip to the market to see where the siren first crawled out of the water and started singing her song of coffee, luring wayward consumers to their over-roasted misery.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.