PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdmack09

Lurker
Apr 15, 2014
Hello,
I'm curious to see what people think are some "Most Try" Rare/Exotic Tobacco Blends out there. I would like to try them if I can get my hands on them.
Best Regards,

JD

Reactions: boston

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
As fare as "rare" goes, anything from Esoterica (especially Penzance), Butera's Pelican and Kingfisher, and Wessex Brigade Campaign Flake are all pretty hard to come by.

The only one of those that I've been able to get ahold of is the Butera Pelican, and I can say that it is well worth finding!

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Rare and exotic? Hmmm... Find yourself some Tambolaka sticks and your search for rare and exotic may be over. :lol:

I also don't think rare and exotic blends will be as appreciated until you have a good base to compare them to. Some of the blends I cherish now would have been tossed when I first began my journey. If Tambolaka was the first pipe tobacco that I tried I probably wouldn't be here typing this post. Be careful what you wish for... And enjoy!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@transmutated. Castle Shag absolutely exists. It is a fine black tobacco and when you open the tin it looks like you have purchased a box of Spanish pubic hairs or shaved the head of your Filipino girlfriend! I have written about this stuff elsewhere on the forum! People with below average intelligence and I include several long term friends in that bracket have attempted to make the odd 'rollie' out of the stuff. The results I can assure you are beyond funny. It will blow the socks of anything!

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
Sorry...I just couldn't help but think of that scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail when Sir Galahad comes across a castle populated only with beautiful women.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Ahhh yes. I remember that scene. I would be careful about Monty Python on this forum. Some people are easily offended and it can result 'thread deletion' and other maladies!

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I might start thinking in terms of aged blends. A nice vintage Virginia flake or English could be easier to find and prove more enlightening than getting blasted by Tambolaka. I'm not trying to discourage experimentation, but if you are starting to build up a cellar you are more likely to stock it with more mainstream blends that make up the bulk of your rotation than a real extreme blend like Tambolaka. Chasing rare blends is fun, but I'm curious how many people would honestly say that $200 bag of Stonehaven was worth it.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I would buy a blend called Castle Anthrax if there was one. :D
To the OP, all the suggestions here are worth searching for. I would search your local B+M for stuff that may not be easily found online...

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
metarzan wrote:
"I also don't think rare and exotic blends will be as appreciated until you have a good base to compare them to. Some of the blends I cherish now would have been tossed when I first began my journey."
I have to second this. I think it's fine to seek out the rare and the discontinued blends. But if you're trying them simply because they're rare and/or discontinued, then I think you'll be missing out. Without a solid basis for comparison, you're likely to try something highly sought-after and not "get" it. And if you aren't quite at the point where you can appreciate some of these blends, I think you'll be spending a lot of money and effort just for bragging rights.
Bob

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
When did pipe tobacco become "child friendly"?
Saying that anyone on this forum would be "offended" by a Monty Python related post, is flat-out one of the goofiest things I've ever seen written on this forum. The only thing that could possibly be more goofy than saying that, is actually being offended by Monty Python, or Starcat.
Oh. JD. The guys are right. There would be nothing extra-special about smoking "rare" tobaccos, without having some kind of foundation. For example, say Marlboro Reds went out of production and only 500 cigarettes were still left on the face of the Earth. Would Marlboro Red's be any better because they were in short supply? No. They wouldn't. They would still be horrid. Dunhill's My Mixture 73(?) is an infamous pipe tobacco- some say the worst blend ever. It's also hard to find. Does it's scarcity make it any more desirable. Maybe for collectors, but not for someone who wants to enjoy the art of smoking pipe.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I know, I know but there always a few around even in the pipe community! As Basil Faulty once said 'Whatever you do don't mention the war' in regard to a group of German guests staying at his hotel. The same applies to any form of dirigible or lighter than air machine originating from the far east. People get very upset about it. You see old Monty is just not 'PC' these days and 'PC' is used as a mechanism to stifle debate on any subject or debate that Liberals object too.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Tarzan and Bob bring up good points, but troutface has an interesting angle on your thoughts. I dont chase aged tobacco but it would be interesting to compare an older version of tobacco vs a new tin.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Dobies Four Square The Curlies would be a good one to search out.
I agree with what others have posted. Its fine to seek out the rare stuff but also keep smoking stuff that is available. If you don't like it, just sit it back and revisit it at a later date. As your tastes develop and change, you might end up liking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.