Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Here is why I don't support it, and why I passed on the story when I saw it last week before all the Johnny-Come-Latelys jumped on it.
From an old post, from over a year ago ...
You have got to be freakin' kidding me with this ridiculous crap, and it is ten times worse coming from a tobacco company. Did someone go insane over there!?!?!
middleton-retardation.gif

These guys are the biggest corporate pussies I have ever witnessed.
They need to grow a pair.
http://www.johnmiddletonco.com/en/cms/Products/Nav/smoking_health/pipe_tobacco/default.aspx

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I did just see at the bottom of each page of the Citizens for Tobacco Rights the following:
Citizens for Tobacco Rights is supported by Philip Morris USA, U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company and John Middleton
This did give me reason for pause.

And then your response Kevin.... deep sigh.
All the same, even disregarding the Citizens for Tobacco Rights organization Neills call to action is still commendable!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I know the EU regulates tobacco products much more strictly than the US - maybe that's a factor in Middleton's page.

Jul 15, 2011
We have a message for you to act now! Protect your freedoms as a smoker! This message was paid for by the tobacco company, who in turn thinks that you should quit smoking, because smoking is bad for your health, but if you quit smoking, you can still defend your rights as a smoker, even though you aren't a smoker anymore, but you should protect the rights of other smokers...damn, now I've confused myself. :crazy:

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I wonder if the pages showing related health risks and information for cessation are CYA on the part of the corporations. Either voluntary or mandated?
Regardless the direction an individual takes, Mr. Roans call to action should be taken to heart by we lovers of the briar.

Jul 15, 2011
Mr. Roans call to action should be taken to heart by we lovers of the briar.
Im not trying to say that there is not cause for concern. This whole thing is absolutely ridiculous. Tobacco has been around for how many thousands of years? And people have been using it for how many thousands of years? Now all of a sudden in the last 20 years it is the absolute evil of the entire planet? It seems to me like we are heading towards a situation with tobacco that we ran into with alcohol in the 20s, and everyone remembers how that ended.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i seem to remember something about a lawsuit that dictated the tobacco companies were forced to spend money on anti smoking ads. maybe you've heard of it?

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
After reading the article and seeing the ad Kevin posted - I need to:
Take a shower

Lie down
Good grief what idiocy! I respect the views of the written article - my reaction stems from the ad.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Sadly, pipe smokers are lumped in with cigarette smokers and that perception will be difficult to change. I do hate to be lumped in with the cigarette companies that sponsor that organization.
My response to Neils blog article:

"This is a great effort, and I hope all will contact their legislators. I am a paid lobbyist for a non-profit higher education institution and would offer a couple of points. It was mentioned that a paper letter gets more attention then email. "
Jeff is correct. My wife is a legislative aid for an elected state official in Maryland and she is the person who processes all communications. Emails are scanned and mostly discarded. Written letters go to the Senators desk and typically get a written response. A multitude of emails on a particular subject will get his attention and time. Less than a handful of communications just does not elicit much attention.
Vote for folks who won't take away citizens rights, once they are taken away, we rarely, if ever get them back. Do your homework before pulling that lever. Anti-smoking legislation is a easy way for an official to show they are helping make the community a better place. Let your elected officials know you don't want them wasting time on this kind of nonsense and get back to the more weighty issues overwhelming every state. Pinpoint areas of legislation you do want them to focus on.

dimm

Might Stick Around
Jan 7, 2012
Montréal, Canada
I think I might have gotten ignorance from a friend. How contagious is it? Just yesterday I started coughing and my throat felt scratchy and before I knew it I was telling people how to live their lives. I hope it doesn't get worse. I'm gonna go to the clinic tonight...

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Bettter have a bowl quick, Dimm! The next step is you'll be calling the government asking for more regulatory agencies and Czars! (not intended to be political, just poking fun at the government in general)

nameshy

Lurker
Apr 20, 2010
I wish I had never read John Middleton's blurb on "Smoking and Health" because it was impossible to forget. On reflection I don't think it came out of ignorance because these people couldn't be that dumb, even though they are attempting to appeal to people who are. They seem to have tried to pull every trick in the book, such as ignoring statistical comparisons, ignoring all hard science refutations, even ignoring what was actually written, etc.
Behind all this is the real Altria (Ulterior?) Philip Morris showing a little fear of all possible competition, however small, when they say "Pipe smoking is not a safe alternative to cigarette smoking."
I'm glad I can say in complete honesty that I've thrown out more John Middleton pipe tobacco than I've ever smoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.