PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Hi all,
I'll be in the US (San Francisco) for a week-long business trip, and I'll take the opportunity to get some pipe tobacco that I can't find over here in the Netherlands. I'll probably order from Smoking Pipes (because I have a coupon for Erik Stokkebye's [excellent] 4th Generation) *and* Pipes and Cigars (because I want to try Fire Storm and a few other Russ Ouellette's blends).
I tend to prefer Virginias/VaPers, and English blends that are not too heavy on Latakia, but having said that I'm willing to try new things, so have a go! I'm also not an aromatic smoker, but I'm willing to make an exception even for that, if I come across something really interesting and mild :)
So... What are the must-have tobaccos I should order?

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Welcome to America. While San Francisco is lovely, please be forewarned that it definitely is not representative of the rest of the country. :wink:
The quintessential American blends are Prince Albert and Carter Hall, both burley blends. You should definitely try Russ's Missouri Meerschaum blends, which were created for cob pipes. Doesn't get more American. . . :wink:
You might also get Classic Burley Kake and I'm sure you'll love Magnum Opus, this weeks Tobacco Crawl choice.http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pax-tobacco-crawl-with-russ-ouellette
If you can't get GL Pease blends in the Netherlands, load up. I'll leave it to others more familiar with the C&D line to make suggestions for that company.
Enjoy your trip.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Hi echie,
If you can't get McClelland's Virginia, I will also suggest reserving some space of your suitcase for that.

By the way, what is the personal use import limit of Tabacco in the Netherlands?

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Anything GL Pease! But sounds like you would really like Six Pence and Chelsea Morning (which is what I am smoking right now with a strong cup of coffee!)
You might also like SPC Mississippi River and Plumb Pudding, but you can't buy that at SP, but rather PAC.
Hope your trip goes well. Let us know what you end up getting.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
First off Welcome to the US. I have to agree with many of the suggestions given as they are great smokes to have on hand. I will add the following four to the "I can't get them list"
GLP - Sixpence

GLP - Gas Light

C&D - Kajun Kake

C&D - Opening Night
These are 4 blends that I would say if you can't get them over there are great all around smokes for any occasion

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
brass: Well, I've been to NY and Washington before, but I assume those aren't representative either ;) Thanks for the suggestions! Magnum Opus was already on my wishlist :) I already have a few GL Pease, and I'm probably going to get a few more :)
menuhin: which Virginia do you mean? I have a sampler pouch of Modern Virginia which I haven't tried yet. The limit is extremely low, 250g :( . Which means my selection will be very limited, and 50g tins only, unless I can get some coworkers to carry a few for me.
monty: I do have (and like Chelsea Morning)! I'll have a look at Six Pence and the others you mentioned, thanks.
Good idea, when I'm back I'll post what I managed to get :)

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
freakiefrog: ah, great! I have gaslight (haven't smoked it yet), and I had my eye on Opening Night :) Thanks!

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
Germany also has a low limit, but at 500g. So I can bring at most 5 x 100g tins of McClelland Blackwoods Flake. :wink:

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
McClelland is easily available in the U.S. but doesn't seem to have much international presence. Their matured virginias are unique and one of the premier brands. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them but the Christmas Cheer, any of the Matured Virginia line (brown label), or the Blackwoods/St James Woods/Dark Star (black label).
I love the GL Pease stuff too but if that's available in Europe, then grab the stuff you can't get.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Will also suggest Seattle Pipe Club

Deception Pass

Mississippi River

Plum Pudding
Also agree with Missouri Meerschaum line by Russ O

American Patriot

Country Gentleman

Great Dane

Missouri Pride
Also like Russ O's

Anniversary Kake

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
menuhin: which Virginia do you mean? I have a sampler pouch of Modern Virginia which I haven't tried yet.
The Modern Virginia is made by Mac Baren's.........Mcclelland is well known for their Virginias, which are very unique. Also maybe try the Frog Morton series from Mcclelland. Pebblecut is a great one from them too!

Enjoy your visit to SF--- Its a great city!

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
beefeater ah, of course. To think I actually checked my list to see what I had :oops:
I do have (and quite like) Frog Morton Across the Pond, and am keen to try others from that series! Thanks :)

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
250 measley grams. Governments are freaking oppressive everywhere. I could go off on a tirade so will stop.
BTW, NY and Washington, DC are much more representative of the country than SF. You'll see. It is a little known fact that SF would have been expelled from the union if they had not had such good restaurants. :twisted:
Of course, San Francisco natives are PROUD that they aren't typical Americans. (The intra-mural tweaking is all in good fun.)

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Any of the various Virginia offerings of McClellands are good. While their bulk tobacco is good (especially the 5100 Red Cake and 2010 Classic Virginia) and I'm sure their blending virginia is probably good, their best stuff is tinned. Personally, I like stoved virginias so I'm partial to their Blackwoods Flake, St James Woods (Blackwoods with Perique), or Dark Star. Their Christmas Cheer is a single-year vintage special edition but it's consistently great too.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo echie - if you would like to experience a pipester's Nirvana, drive North across the Golden Gate to Telford's Pipe Shop.
BTW - although Greg Pease lives in Cali's Bay Area, the nettlesome California tobacco laws make it hard for B&Ms to stock his great blends. Your best bet is to have SP,P&C or another sponsor send your 250g to a friend in the Bay Area, and you can pick it up from there. If you can persuade a fellow traveler to carry his/her quota, you can bump the order up to 10 tins, and that will get you free shipping. Some hotels will be willing to be the drop point for the shipment.
hp

les

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
jgriff & kcghost: thanks! All this is *way* more than I can bring back :/ On the other hand, I'm grooming quite an impressive wishlist ;)
lestrout: I'd read about Telford's! Not sure if I'll have the time to go on this trip, but it's definitely on my radar. And yes, I'll actually probably buy from *both* SP and P&C.

Status
Not open for further replies.