PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
The Comoy that I purchased (estate supposedly restored by an ebay seller) smells, as my girlfriend puts it, "like an old man or a nursing home". Is this the musky mold smell that some of you are referring to when you say that there is mold in the pipe? Or is this just the smell of some kind of polish or wax on the outside?

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
Forget the pipe,now I'm terrified of becoming an old man.I'm afraid my pipe will end up smelling better then me(according to some).Us old men are going to have to stick together(or apart}.OMG-The future terrifies me.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
If the smell is that of mold and the S/A treatment doesn't work, pour about 1/2 a thimble full of alcohol into the bowl, cover the tobacco chamber and mortice with thumb and finger and shake it to coat the interior. Prop the bowl up in an upright position and set the alcohol alight. Allow it to burn out. If there is still wettness in the bowl, set it alight again. When it is burnt away, the mold spores will be history and the pipe safe to smoke. Allow the bowl to cool to roo0m temprature before reinserting the stem,

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
Ernest wrote... "Forget the pipe,now I'm terrified of becoming an old man.I'm afraid my pipe will end up smelling better then me(according to some).Us old men are going to have to stick together(or apart}.OMG-The future terrifies me. "
And here again, the liberal application of Rum does wonders.....plus , you dont even need the salt!

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
A really hard workout at the dojo last night, followed by a bad night's sleep. Nothing works this morning. I'm simulating old age. :)
Let us know how the pipe turns out.
Simon

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Flantive,

There are few problems that can't be solved with the liberal application of alcohol.....

Oh wait, we're talking about pipes..... rats.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Another method of deep cleaning a Briar is to use the

alcohol and a retort. This can produce dramatic results

and is something that professional services also employ.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I use the method that Chuck suggested the last few estate pipes I got after the S&A treatment. I found it helps a lot with getting those smells and taste that are still ghosted in the pipe even after the S&A treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.