Muskoka Flooding

(11 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by piperl12
  • Latest reply from tennsmoker
  1. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well Gent's I sit here tonight unable to get to town every route is flooded out. The main hiway that takes me to town is underwater and the bridge down the road is impassable. Thankfully I have a Generator, lots of wood for the woodstove and enough food to last a week. Unbelieveable how much damage has been done to the town and surrounding areas. At least I have my pipes and a good stock of Irish Whiskey and lots of tobacco. Everyone is here safe and sound. Now if it would just stop bloody raining!

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. eaglerico

eaglerico

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am judging by your ability to post this you still have power as well. Hope all is well. Gives a whole new meaning to cellar (unless UPS can airdrop a package to you). Stay warm and dry.

Glenn
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Glenn, yes so far we are staying warm and dry. Our house sits up quite a way from the river but nothing will suprise me. I never thought in a million years the hiway would flood and start to wash away either. The neighbour has a backhoe and he has dug us both an irrigation pond just in a case.

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

At least I have my pipes and a good stock of Irish Whiskey and lots of tobacco. Everyone is here safe and sound. Now if it would just stop bloody raining!

Reading your post, I was about to ask these very things: Do you have plenty of booze and tobacco? Is everyone accounted for, safe and sound? Then your life is good, keep enjoying it and don't worry about the weather, or anything else you have no say in

One more thing: About 3 years ago, we had one of the wettest Springs I remember, constant flooding, rain nearly every day until the middle of May, muddy, wet and cold, and I bitched about it quite a bit, like anybody might. The next year, we got our last drop of rain on the day of the tornado in Joplin from the storm system that spawned it (maybe you read about it), the 21'st I think, maybe 22'nd. Didn't get another rain until the last days of August. And last year was almost exactly the same, rain stopped in the early part of May and not another drop until almost September. I can't tell you how many big old oaks have died, not to mention all the grass fires, ruined crops, etc.

I vowed never again to bitch about weather, hot, cold, wet or dry, I will never, ever complain again and just accept it as it comes along. I have learned my lesson, and I'm hoping for a wetter summer, but won't utter a single word in complaint if it's dry once again.

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wise words Mike, my old man said bitching about the weather will yield the same result as pissing into the wind. Your bound to get wet and nobody is going to want to be anywhere close to you! LOL

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Move about with great caution in the flood. My wife, as a reporter in the Missouri flooding of the Mississippi River
    in 1993, was nearly beheaded when a boat in which she was riding, to get a closer look at the flooded areas,
    sped under a sagging power line that caught her under the chin. The doc who stitched her up said it was about
    an eighth of an inch from opening her jugular. Stay put or move about with great care.

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Will do mso489 thanks for the heads up glad to hear your wife is ok

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

brassonly

Login to Send PM

Hey Piper , I hope everything works out ok for you & everyone living in your area. Floods are so destructive,back in 1979 our area here in Northern Ontario experienced one & it was not easy. Hopefully the rain stops soon & the water can start going down . The road going to my house got washed out on Thursday with all the rain & melting snow the culvert just couldn't keep up . We just got it fixed up again this afternoon. Quite a few of our highways are still closed this weekend because of wash out due to all this rain. I'm also glad I can now enjoy the rest of the weekend with some of my pipes & favourite tobaccos. Take care .

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Brass, I hope everything works out for your area too. We are thankfully in a high dry area but many neigbours have lost homes and there is nothing we can do to help. Makes you feel pretty helpless. Volunteered my boat and motor yesterday to the fire dept but even with everything going on apperantly insurance concerns prevent that. I'm not sure what this world is coming too. So here I sit and pray for those who are directly effected. At least everyone was able to get out. Hiway 11 is completely closed now south of Burks Falls They are hoping to have one route out for us today but I would rather them focus on getting those effected directly sorted out first. I have enough food for a week and so do the neighbours around me. I suspect that due to the fact we are on a shared grid with an area that is heavily flooded we might lose power today at some point.

Posted 6 years ago #
  10. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good luck to you piper. I was flooded almost 3 years ago and we're hoping to be done with all repair work this summer (finally). Very costly and difficult, but we pulled through thanks to many people helping and a lot of hard work.

I personally see this as a result of climate change - more extreme weather events are expected and the best we can do is take care of our own the best we can.

Sounds like you're doing okay, but I feel bad for you and your neighbors - best of luck.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Piper: keep yourself and family dry and safe. Here in Tennessee we had a stretch of hail, high winds, thunderstorms, downed power lines, etc., a year or so ago. The only thing we didn't get were locusts.

I lost power for over a week. No backup generator. Lost everything in the fridge. No lights for a week. Then we had to go through the roof repair wars.

I feel your pain, but as long as you and your family are safe and dry, (I include your pipes and tobacco in that) you will come through fine. The rest is just something else to deal with, the usual things in life, sort of.

Sorry for the philosophizing. Stay safe.

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   birdnerd75, codecreatively, lawayna