PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I really like pipes and pipe tobacco. Some might say im obsessive about tobacco. And I like talking about pipe tobacco and pipe smoking. I don't know anyone who smokes a pipe. Not a soul. Out here in the rural South, I have only ever seen one person smoking a pipe. None of my friends smoke pipes. It's mostly dippers and chewers out here, and of course cigarette smokers.
So I'm very glad to have the Internet and sites like this so I can talk about pipe smoking. I don't envy y'all that live in cities. But I do envy that you have buddies to bullshit about pipes with. A pipe buddy is a rare thing.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
While I do see some pipe smokers from time to time most are outside my age range so it always takes some doing and proving my knowledge to gain the acceptance of older pipe smokers I meet. Not all younger pipe smokers are doing it to be ironic hipsters or just pretending to be in the lord of the rings! Thanks to the online community, namely this forum and podcast and to some extent youtube videos, I feel at home in the pipe community.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
A pipe night, complete with strong drink, and strong friendships, is one of the only desires I have in life right now.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
When I go to B&Ms (the only place I ever see another non-cig smoker) there are usually just cigar smokers. I know of a pipe club that meets on a Thursday once a month downtown, but I've never made my way to check it out. I talk to one pipe guy in my area, but we've never met up though I may have to rectify that with the weather changing here in Denver. I'm by no means a hipster, don't dress like them or have any of the same interests.
I didn't take up the pipe to BE different. I took it up because I liked the nostalgia, the pricing (pipe tobacco vs cigarettes), flavors and pipes just look cool (not all, but it's everyone's taste).
I've never had a negative encounter while smoking my pipes in public (usually at work or on campus between classes and waiting for the train home). I usually get compliments on the smell and the occasional story about a grandpa or older relative that smoked a pipe. I can relate because my grandpa was a pipe smoker.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
As I have remarked before, I have always smoked a pipe. Once I finished my foray into cigarettes I just settled into pipe smoking as had every male in the family. I learnt to RYO from my Uncle Charles who was a machine gunner in WW1 and developed a taste for Wills Woodbine cigarettes but it was a phase and I hated the yellow stains on my fingers! I started with clay pipes and then I found a cased meerschaum cutty in a flea market and then I was hooked and from then onwards I added to my collection non stop - I guess a severe form of PAD! I have always met the nicest people amongst the pipe smoking fraternity. In NYC I am lucky in that we have a pipe club and in the summers I often have my friends over to smoke pipes in my roof garden. I am sorry for those of you holding the fort in distant parts of the nation!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Same here. When I go into either of the 2 local B&M's around here I'm almost always the only one with a pipe sticking out of my mug unless it's on the pipe club day that meets once a month in one of the two shops. I was recently introduced to another pipe smoker (he was smoking a cigar at the time) it's like when two people with rare diseases are brought together. "I'd like you to meet Johnny, he has the same freakish condition you have!" No, it's not that weird but weird none the less.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am pretty lucky in that I have 2 buddies locally who I can hang out and smoke pipes with. One of them even makes pipes(Zack) and has a beautiful wife to look at instead of his ugly mug while we are smoking.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Well i think im in the same boat.I live in the south everything is to far away.Closest b&m is 60 miles away.Don't laugh its actually far for us here in hawaii.And i haven't met anyone in my neck of the woods who smokes a pipe.

Aug 14, 2012
I live in NYC part time, though really very little anymore. Smoking on the roof is not so great in the summer. It is too hot. Except for a few part time pipesmokers that I have converted to pipes I only know one pipesmoker in person. I met him here on this site. It was different many years ago, but people have been scared off by the antismoking propaganda.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Worth reading; Rick Newcombe, A Quiet Revolution
It can be found on the Seattle Pipe Clubs website in Sherlocks Corner.
It's a good piece on the contemporary pipe smoker and after reading it I felt a deeper obligation to never hide the fact that I'm indeed, a pipe smoker.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
Yes, I'm in the Land of Copenhagen, too. In fact, I had that nasty habit for 30 years or so. It about ruined my gums.
The only time I get to partake in a briar with someone else is when my son comes home from college, and the occasional time I get together with my priest for a smoke and some theology.
I have actually tried to start a small pipe & pint club here, but had disastrous results. All of my friends had the same comment: nasty habit, and you're going to die from cancer. Ok...
Perhaps we need to loosely plan some kind of pipesmagazine forum Southern link up in a central location, and spend a long weekend getting to know each other, swapping tobacco and lies, and maybe sharing a good whiskey or seven.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
If, like me, 90% of the time your out and about you have a pipe in your mouth, and the other 10% of the time it's in your pocket cooling off, you might be surprised how many pipe smokers there are. Here in France, I see pipers every day of all ages and their pipes are beat to hell from heavy use, so my pipe fits right in!

Here in the heart of the Heart of Dixie we have quite a few pipe men, from pipe smoking rich men to farmers smoking while riding their tractors. But, I think a lot of this stems from the RYO clubs springing up everywhere in this area. They sell cheap pipes to guys who don't want to spend the extra money on using the industrial rolling machines.
If you are ever in the central Alabama area, bring your pipe and we can hit restaurants and bars in the area. So far no laws have restricted us in this part of the world. Heck, I think it's required to smoke something here, lol.
I heard one restaurant owner tell a mom and her two kids to get the F out when she asked if they could open a door because it was too smokey. I thought it a tad extreme, but it sums up the way of things here, ha ha.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Up here in NH I have two friends who smoke pipes and cigars, and I see each of then every three or four months. So every couple of months I smoke a pipe with a friend. However neither of them are much interested in the "art and science" of pipe smoking, or of learning about different tobacco blends and pipe brands/styles. Smoking a pipe is simply what we do while we fellowship; it is ancillary to the get-together, not the object of it. And so I am very grateful for this Forum. I would love to go to a pipe show or a pipe club and meet fellow pipers with shared interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.