PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
Just a little thought I had triggered by a discussion with a friend. First of all I know pipe smoking and smoking cigs are two different worlds and I'm not a cigarette smoker myself but thought I would share my thoughts.
A friend was telling me of a college who smokes 30 a day and how bad it is for him and how he should know better. I won't go into massive detail of the person involved as it's largely irrelevant but lets just say their job is a stressful one.
Now this guy has been doing the same job for over twenty years he's successful at it and successful in life, kids wife house etc etc. Now most would say why would he risk his health like he's doing and risk loosing it all. This was when a thought occurred to me, What if without his cigs he couldn't cope. I know most people can but look at all the people in this world who have failed to cope just with life on a day to day basis.
I know it seems far fetched but what we achieve in life is finely balanced one different choice along the way could mean your life could end up on a totally different course. Obviously this might apply to pipes too and many other things.
What I'm getting at is people shouldn't be too quick to judge as sometimes that little thing might just be the coping mechanism that has help that person through. who knows where that guy would of been without his cigs? Only he knows
Thats my mindless ramblings over for the evening. Peace out.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
While the reluctance to judge is certainly laudable, he still stands the chance of losing (not "loosing") it all, based on the damage he's doing to his health. If he has the determination to be as successful as he his, I'd say he also has the determination to quit smoking cigarettes if and when he's ready to do so.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
tell that to the millions on anti depressants all their lives doing yet unknown damage to their health. Is it not better to have had and lost than never to have had at all.
Bare in mind I know 99% of people could quite and be the better for it but for some maybe not.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I think some folks use cigarettes as a means to help with their stress levels.They say that cigarette smoking is bad for you.If I'm honest I have to agree with that.The same can't be said for pipe smoking though.Yet smoking bans lump all smokers together.They also classify private business as public places even thay are not owned by the public.Insurance companies have no data that says smoking a pipe causes health problems yet they charge you more if you do if they insure you at all.I'm not judging but I sure am being judged and by folks who aren't even being honest in their judgement.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If you suck a bunch of toxins into your mouth, roll them around a bit on your tongue, and blow them out, what good, physically, can come of that? We pipers may suffer less risk than those smokers who suck the poisons into the lungs but, absolutely nothing good is occurring in your body as the levels of the poisons increase. We are just kidding ourselves when we believe different.
Accept the risk knowingly, trust your genes, and enjoy the pipe. I accept that smoking a pipe indicates poor judgement on my part. But, no more so than imbibing in alcohol, running with scissors, sky diving, etc. I'm a risk taker with smoking, I do not run with scissors and I absolutely reject the idea of jumping out of a perfectly good airplane with an over-sized bed sheet on my back.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
Didn't intend this to be health related really, just saying everything kills you so do whatever gets you through.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Regarding toxin intake if cigarette smoking is rated at 100 then pipe smoking comes in at about 1 or 2. It's not merely less it's a great whacking bunch less. As the saying goes sometimes quantity has its own quality.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Didn't intend this to be health related really, just saying everything kills you so do whatever gets you through.
I'll drink to that and light up another cigarette.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
James: Sorry! Didn't mean to appear to be veering off course. I'm just saying that weighing the risk and smoking with that information is much less stressful than continually questioning your judgement and wondering what the pipe may or may not be costing you.
Arm yourself with all the knowledge available, weigh the risk with the reward, and make a decision. Live with it and do not continually second guess your own judgement or go searching around to find information which validates your decision. Others will be more than happy to fault or support your judgement.

Trampolines have health benefits as well as risks. However, the trampoline industry didn't lie to the public and falsify reports to keep their pockets full. I think that what the big cig industry did put a bad taste in mouths of many back in the 80's.
However, I would like to see the trampoline industry investigated for marketing their death traps to children :puffy:

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
I cracked up when @warren said running with scissors...

somebody is always looking out for our best interests, even if we don't want them to. to each his own...stay off my lawn.. As soon as we are born we start dying, don't forget to live and do it on your terms, otherwise it was never yours to begin with.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
don't forget to live and do it on your terms, otherwise it was never yours to begin with.
Pretty much what I was trying to get across but wasn't able to put it into such an elegant sentence Bravo

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
As a reformed cigarette smoker since May, I find myself looking upon other cig smokers as lost souls and take it upon myself (whenever possible) to extoll the virtues and delights of the pipe.
I've quit cigs for 5 yrs or more, 3x. Each time I lapsed I can point to stress. Ironically, I was stressed by knowingly causing myself harm, which motivated me to quit.
I think I've found stability now.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
We pipers may suffer less risk than those smokers who suck the poisons into the lungs but, absolutely nothing good is occurring in your body as the levels of the poisons increase.
Except tobacco use lowers your risk of Parkinson's Disease.

longbowman

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2014
No one will make it out of this life alive. Just sayin'... The biggest cause of death is being alive.

titus

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2013
Canada
I work with palliative patients day in and day out, the majority of them are actively dying because of life choices that included smoking, poor diet and little to no physical activity. Here are my thoughts:
-Everyone has one story of the relative and friend who smoked and lived a long life, however, it's not always about how long you stayed on this earth, but the quality of life you enjoyed, especially at the end. Having the mobility and general health to do the things you enjoy, to be independent, means so much more.
-I have never met one person who at the very end who did not express regret about health decisions made. I can't imagine if those folks were given a second chance, they would still choose the same lifestyle.
-The age old advice of "everything in moderation", although so simple, seems to have been forgotten. I guess its perhaps too simple, to succinct. You certainly can't sell a product on three words, and believe me the health industry's focus is making money, lots of money. The only caveat to this age old advice is, if the activity is physically addictive its hard at a certain point for even the strongest willed to maintain that moderation.
This is not me preaching, just me passing on my experiencing from a long career working in health. I don't get it right, not sure anyone does. So live well, everything in moderation (including your pipe), and be sure to go for a walk each and everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.