PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
As some of you might be aware, I'm a sucker for a rum soaked blend. I finally snagged a few oz of Russ' Bold Rum as it keeps going out of stock. It arrived and the bag(?) note is fantastic. This stuff would make a fantastic potpourri. I left it sit on my living room side board for a few days until I could get to it. It's aroma was noticeable through the bag every-time I walked by it. (I really should see about using this stuff as a potpourri.) I was finally able to put some on a paper plate for just over 4 hours before packing my Savinelli Qandale smooth 315KS and lighting up. Well...worth...the...wait... It was just over 100 out, the humidity was practically single digits, and I had a glass of Zacapa XO to go with it. I packed much looser than I normally do which seems to work better with wet bends even after drying; appropriate application of a tamper is required though. An initial light, a second light and then it was going good. A few minutes in and everything settled down, I slowed my pace, and the blend came to life. Excellent level of sweetness, creamy smoke, and an underlying very noticeable zesty rum flavor. There's several other things going on in the background but I lack the skill to describe them. Definitely not a blend for the timid (but great for everyone else). The strong rum flavor and creaminess stayed through the first half of the bowl but then started to disappear with a weird note coming in. Using the spoon on my 8 Deco pipe tool I gently poked the top of the ash and loosened up the ash and dumped it. The effort was well rewarded as it went right back to the zesty, sweet, creamy blend it started out as. mmmmmmmmmmmmm.............. It paired excellently with the Zacapa. I've had several bowls since the first one, each with different dry times, drink pairings, etc, and I've enjoyed it each and every time. I highly recommend giving it a try. Just fantastic stuff.
On a side note, there was a small amount left on the paper plate which I left sitting on my bar afterwards for about a week. Smelled great every-time I got near it. I really should see about using this stuff as a potpourri.
P.S. - I read a review that claimed this was just relabeled Sutliff Sunset Rum. I repeated the above with the SSR I have and I don't believe it to be the same for one second. Subsequent bowls have strengthened this position for me. The SSR just lacks flavor and depth compared to the RBR.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Nice review. Smoking outside in 100 degree weather... You're a tougher man than I.
I read a review that claimed this was just relabeled Sutliff Sunset Rum. I repeated the above with the SSR I have and I don't believe it to be the same for one second. Subsequent bowls have strengthened this position for me. The SSR just lacks flavor and depth compared to the RBR.
Reading the copy on P&C makes it seem clear this should be a separate blend than the Sutliff Buttered Rum. Maybe there was a mistake on the order or something that caused the wrong blend to be sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.