PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I actually don't mind the current version of RY. I wasn't a fan of the topping the first time I tried it, but after it sat for awhile I thought it got much better and I was actually enjoying it by the time the tin was done. I have four seal tins of RY from the Murray's era on the way to me. What should I expect from this stuff as compared to today's version?

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Jealous! I love Royal Yacht but I don't believe I've ever had the opportunity to try the Murray's era stuff. I know I had an older tin the first time I tried it, but fairly certain not that old.
Enjoy it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wonder if it is the aging or the original product that produces the commendable flavor. I guess there's no way

to know. The tin I'm aging is undoubtedly Orlik, so for me, that will be RY. But if peck reports back, I'll be

interested to hear how the "classic" tasted.

Dec 24, 2012
I just found what pipe stud said sometime back: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/dunhill-royal-yacht-have-i-got-a-bad-tin
Howdy Bill,
I am a big Royal Yacht fan but only of the original Dunhill and Murray's renditions. I've tried the Orlik Royal Yacht and it is a totally different blend now and has a topping that tastes a bit like carmel to me. While different, all three versions had strength (in the nicotine department), but, while having smoked hundreds of tins over the years I've never detected a peppery taste of any kind.
Pipestud

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Peck, if you like a strong Virginia then the Murray's RY just may be the ticket for you. The casing is very mysterious and folks seem to either love it or hate it. The Murray's casing has not been duplicated by Orlik.
If you get bored and want a really long winded review of both versions, here's a link to what I posted a few years ago on TRC - http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/461/dunhill-royal-yacht
I am currently down to about 300 tins of Murray's Royal Yacht... and it'll be a footrace as to what lasts longer; me or my Royal Yacht!
Enjoy that Nectar of the Gods!
Pipestud

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
When you review a blend on here could you do me a favor please? Use colorful alliteration that conjure images of falling into a great bottomless pit while music of smoke rises and torchers you while causing elations and pleasures untold.
This not too bad shit is too dry and un artful. Please try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.