PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetesttooth

Lurker
May 3, 2013
Recently bought my first pipe, with a list of aromatic tobaccos. Would it be ok if i were to smoke:

Boswell Piper's pleasure

Boswell chocolate cream

Boswell christmas cookie

Boswell NobiteDelite

Molto dolce

All in the same bowl, or will one of those be completely overpowering and have a strong ghosting effect that will nullify the flavors of the other tobaccos. If anyone has any experience with them or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated, i dont want to mess up my pipe right off the bat.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
First of all, welcome to the world of pipes and to the forum.
There is quite a bit of discussion on this subject. Some folks smoke any blend in any pipe. Others maintain distinct rotations based on blend type. Folks who do that might maintain one rotation for aros, one for latakia blends, and one for virginias.

Personally, I maintain a latakia rotation and a virginia rotation. I am not an aro smoker, so I don't have a rotation for those sorts of blends. Based on my experience, though, you should not have any problems distinguishing between flavors when you are smoking tobaccos of the same sort.

The question arises when you switch varieties. Some people find that flavors from aros or lat blends will drift over into their other blends. This is something you need to determine yourself, but, in this case, I would not even consider it a question. I'd get another pipe, though, if you are going to be smoking any more than a bowl every now and then. Your smoke will be more enjoyable if you give the pipe time to thoroughly dry out between smokes.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Welcome to the forums

I agree about different blends in different pipes, but for the tobaccos you mentioned, Molto Dolce is IMO over powering...I soked a tin of it in a pipe I regularly smoke 1Q in and tasted the extra sweetness of MD for quite awhile

ffmurray

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2013
I have a cob that I use when I smoke Aros, and there might be some ghosting but I do not find it overpowering.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
sweetesttooth, welcome to the site. I think you will have no problem smoking all of your blends in one pipe because they are all aromatics. I am a believer of dedicating pipes to different categories of blends i.e Virginia, Virginia/Perique, Virginia/Burley which is all I smoke. If I smoked any English blends I would certainly dedicate pipes to those because they will seriously ghost a pipe. I think you did great with your choice of Boswell blends to start. They are among the highest quality aromatics on the market. If you ever get real bad dry mouth, I would grab yourself a bottle of Biotene, it is a pipe smokers best friend.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I love "layering" the tobaccos, which is also called making a "parfait." I actually have three large briars (a Boswell, a Nording freehand, and a Gatlin-Burlier) that I use exclusively for such combinations. Usually I will put a powerful English or Balkan in the bottom layer and then top it with a layer or two of VA, burley or even aromatic. It works surprisingly well!

I got in the habit of doing this very early in my pipe smoking career, years before I knew anyone who could tell me it was generally frowned upon LOL. Back then, I smoked a lot more aromatics than I smoke now. My experience with layering different aromatics actually worked pretty well.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
A "parfait" of tobaccos!

As a newbe, I am willing to try almost anything...

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Welcome! You shold not have any problem with those blends, I have actually tried them all (with the exception of Molto dolce) and most are very similar IMO so there souldn't be an issue. As for me I have two types of pipes, English blend pipes and Aero blend pipes. But I'm easy going with that kinda stuff. :puffpipe:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Other variations might include, instead of layering, mixing tobaccos before you pack your pipe. This isn't really a blend;

the tobacco isn't aged nor under pressure. I've enjoyed some English blends with a cavendish aromatic (although the

blend may already have some of that). Another variation is to use a little tobacco to spice a blend, some latakia or

perique. I've been advised to cut these leaves smaller to make it mix better, with a sharp knife or scissors. I've done

this on an impromptu basis, not kept any notes or measured things except by eye (or feel) but it's produced some

enjoyable smokes, a pleasing variety. I mix it up one or two bowls at a time, so if it didn't work, it wouldn't be much tobacco

lost.

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
I have tried Piper's Pleasure and Christmas Cookie and they are great blends. Personally, I found Piper's Pleasure everything an aromatic is supposed to be. It actually tasted just like coffee with chocolate creamer. Everyone else on here has given you advice in regards to ghosting. I think I should warn you of something else. I loved these two blends, but they went stale and lost their flavor very quickly. Now I think this was my fault. At the time, I didn't really know all that much about storing pipe tobacco. I just threw them in a few Mason jars and opened them enough to dip out enough for a bowlful. Everything was fine for a few weeks until they lost flavor. What I think happened was I used too big a jar. There was only tobacco in the bottom of the jar which left an air pocket at the top. I think the casing evaporated off and every time I opened the jars, it escaped and eventually I lost that wonderful taste. If anyone else here can confirm or deny this, then please do. I've never had this problem with other types of pipe tobaccos. It's just aromatics, which leads me to think it is the casing evaporating. I just thought I would warn you, so you wouldn't waste money. If you're storing them, then make sure there is no air pocket in the jar. Keep them packed tight with no air.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Appointed, others here have more expertise than I do about storing tobacco, but let me suggest, rather

than the screw top jars, try the latch top canning jars with rubber gaskets. These are about the same,

but once you latch them, you know they are secure, whereas it might be easy to not screw the jar lid

down tight every time, and there goes the airtight feature. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.