PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I always like to look and see what everyone else is smoking . After a while you can see a pattern . Seems like every week a new blend comes to market and a old one fades away . Some of us stick to our aged English blends or Virginas disdaining anyone who dares to smoke a Aromatic . While others smoke thier Aromatics and rave of thier flavors . But baccy is baccy and OTC suits others fine . As I look at the reviews of all the new blends it often tears at me . Should I buy this new blend or build on what is already in the cellar . Do I want this new blend because of the reviews or the flashing ads around me . Do I limit myself to a double handfull or do I mix it all up . Fact is I enjoy all of the them and like to mix my orders up . I look through the reviews and see some that stick out . The ones getting reordered . That is where my money goes . This past year brought many gifts of various blends . Two were reordered Sillems Black and WOL 2012 . The nomenclature of the blends changes every year . So what stood out last year and what was worth was worth reordering ? :puffpipe:

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Good topic.
I have a couple of stand outs for sure. Spartan's English from the P&C Fusion Lab, Mac Baren 7 Seas Royal, Lane Limited 1Q, H&H Larry's Blend, Shortcut to Mushrooms, SPC Plum Pudding ... I think I will try and keep a stock of them for some time to come.
I was reading this last night to educate myself a bit about tobacco strains.
And there is an excerpt from GL Pease's FAQ ...
"It takes time for new tastes to be incorporated into your taste memory, which is an essential part of really enjoying any tobacco type.
The same thing is true when going from Latakia blends to Virginias. Give your senses time to "get educated," and the rewards will be more thorough enjoyment of your pipe in the future!
"
And that has been an important concept, that you need to re-visit blends a few times to solidify an opinion. For example, I had somewhat disliked Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake on the first bowl, and set it aside for over a month.
Tonight I'm smoking it, and it's quite good, I developed a better appreciation of it over time.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Two Friend's English Chocolate is a Virginia blend with some latakia and a chocolate flavoring. When the owner of the B&M offered me a sample I was sceptical about the combo but have since bought many tins and it is now in my daily rotation.

I too rely on reviews to pique my interest. So between the reviews here and the "other" site and my B&M I've found some blends that I like and otherwise may not have tried.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I still have so many baccy's to try so I'm still on first try with a lot of them.
But on my re-order list from the stuff I've tried is

Bulks: MV-1000, Mark Twain, Double Eagle

Tins: Erinmore, Escudo, MacBaren Vanilla Cream (loose), not quite sure about Irish Flake yet. It's been good and nice on the vitamin N. But finicky, probably due to my inexperience.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
GLP Lagonda. I try to buy five 2oz. tins of every new tobacco I try. I open one immediately and smoke it, and open another approximately one year after the first and so on.
I ordered four 8oz. tins as soon as they were available. I love this stuff and plan to smoke it a lot more than once a year.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I have bought more tobacco than i really enjoy.
My two stand bys are Stokkebyes "Proper English" and a half and half mixture of Lanes 1Q and BCA.
Ejames sent me a bag of Sutliff "Roma Vita", which he did not like, but I have a taste for. Might pick up a couple ounces of that for the future.
I keep saying I am going to pick up some Shortcut to Mushrooms and Ruins of Isengard again. I especially enjoyed the Isengard, but it has been such a long time since I smoked either, I wonder if my enjoyment will be the same?
As much as I enjoy trying new blends, I find that I keep coming back to the same two or three things for regular smoking....

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
I love trying new blends any type, English, Virg, aros. The 3 that have stood out the most to me recently are:

SPC Plum Pudding

2 Friends Engliah Chocolate

GLP Haddo's Delight

There are so many choices out there today that boredom is never an issue for me. Each new blend is an adventure.

:puffy:

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
Sutliff Molto Dolce was a sweet find as was C+D Autumn Eve

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'm still in the stage of having to try every new thing that comes out. I'm that way with just about everything, inclunding food, though. I have this thing about trying the Calamari everywhere I go to see if it's as sweet and tender as the stuff I ate in Grand Cayman. So far only Ivar's landing in Mukilteo, WA comes close. I love trying new stuff and reporting on it, so it fits my personality to always try a new baccy that peaks my interest, too. I really only do reviews on ones that really strike me as special in some way.
I don't smoke enough to worry about my cellar at this stage, but I am settling into favorites like 1-Q and Black House and am slowly starting to buy larger quantities and jar them. Some guys may only ever have 2 pipes and smoke nothing but their favorite OTC their whole life and I can respect that, because taste is subjective. But that just ain't me.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I think, by and large, H&H Black House and Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream were the big stand-outs this past year. I loved both so much that I bought larger quantities to cellar for the future.
-Jason

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I have smoked for years without trying Rattray's Hal o' the wynd.... and that was a mistake. It is now in steady rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.