Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Imperial Fireplace Mortar and Cement comes up from time to time as a repair material for charring, beginning burnout, and the like. I have recently contemplated using it for a couple of repairs I need to make. The label says it contains sodium silicate, but I was not sure what else might be in the mix. A quick perusal of Imperial's website led me to the MSDS for the Mortar and Cement compound. Here is the link:
http://www.imperialgroup.ca/userfiles/file/KK0306%20Stove%20&%20Fireplace%20Mortar.pdf
I am not quite sure what to make of the warnings. After all, we are all smoking tobacco and receiving ominous warnings from the State of California every time we pick up a tin. What strikes me more than the warning is the great variability in the compound's individual components.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

As far as i know it's safe, but I imagine it could impart a slightly acrid taste and leave the briar unable to breath properly if too much is applied. Again, just a guess. I've never used it. I have used Aristocobs Miracle Mud to fix a small burnout. I believe it may have some of the same ingredients? It worked well.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Really? Sodium silicate? The tobacco we smoke In this "hobby" I'm sure is harmless.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
There are a lot of pipe makers that use sodium silicate in their bowl coatings. Just throwing that out there.
I understand that this fireplace mortar contains more than that, but this is all I have to contribute to this topic as I have never used it myself.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Yes I did. The best was Quartz silica being listed as a carcinogen. I guess the stuff we put to fire isn't.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Yes I did. The best was Quartz silica being listed as a carcinogen. I guess the stuff we put to fire isn't.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Cally454, Thanks for the clarification. Your initial post mentioned only sodium silicate, so I was not sure we were working from the same information.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
As the MSDS notes that "respirable quartz silica" is the problem, I am heartened to see that "The silica in this

product is totally encapsulated and thus present no inhalation danger."
The presence of lye (sodium hydroxide) is actually one of my bigger concerns, but the First Aid instructions do not even read like those for oven cleaners.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Of course, my end-of-day brain is sometimes a little slower than I would like. The lye may not be a problem because it has reacted with the other chemicals in the mix. Lye's reactivity is, after all, what makes it so useful.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
As it turns out my initial search led me to a slightly different product than what others on the forum have used. The product used by forum members is Imperial GA0188. Here is the MSDS for that compound:
http://www.imperialgroup.ca/userfiles/file/GA0188%20Stove%20&%20FP%20Mortar.pdf
I like what is in it less. I know, I know, the combustion of tobacco produces unpleasant chemicals, but why add to them or risk irritation? May those who would call me a sissy please send photos of themselves smoking freshly reamed asbestos pipes. BBB made them in the early 20th century, so classy examples can be found.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have used fire cement in the past to both fill in burn out spots & to raise the bottom of bowls and I can honestly say I have never noticed anything adverse in the taste department. Most fire cements are water based and the trick to getting the cement to adhere properly is to moisten (with water) the surface to be covered first else the cement will just fall out.
Regards,
Jay.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
MSDS are specified to address the risks to workers handling the product during manufacture or application. That said, I wouldn't put any kind of crap in a pipe, I'd just bin the POS.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've used the Imperial product, but only a thin layer. I'll then let a good cake build over it. Without risk? I doubt it, but hopefully minimal and used only as a last resort for a pipe worth saving.

Status
Not open for further replies.