PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

finjip2

Lurker
Aug 4, 2019
Good evening all, total newbie here so apologies for the naivety! I’ve recently decided to have a go at pipe smoking, I’m a nightmare of a consumer and in classic fashion went out and bought a MM diplomat pipe, smoked it once and the flood gates opened... I purchased a Mr Turkweicz bog oak pipe, a Mr Balandis briar and another pair of MM legend cobs. As a newbie my “packing” technique isn’t yet honed and although I found the first smoke nice, the diplomat seems a little on the deep side. I re-lit maybe 10 times. My other pipes arrived and next up was the Mr balandis briar..now I’m well aware that you get what you pay for but it blew me away. I smoked Gawith Hoggarth coffee and caramel (with filter) and it was like pure nectar! Didn’t want to come in! I guess what I really want to know, is have many people had experience with either of the above pipes from Poland? Are they any good? Or have I just wasted my money and it would be wise to purchase something from a more “established” brand? See I think the briar smoked well, but have no grounds for comparison. And lastly, the bog oak is unsmoked.. is there any different break in ritual to perform with this? I’ve heard then can crack if not treat well!!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Dave.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I have a few Turkweicz morta/bog oak pipes. A remarkable value at less than $30, IIRC. The mouthpieces are a relatively low grade plastic material, but they function well enough. Smoke away at will. No break-in period for morta. It's pretty much indestructible. Great for outdoor smoking.

finjip2

Lurker
Aug 4, 2019
Brilliant.. I’ll get on that this week. Just out of curiosity are the mouthepieces interchangeable?

Thanks,

Dave.

finjip2

Lurker
Aug 4, 2019
Ok.. so I smoked the bog oak today, smoked Sunday’s fantasy and only 3/4 of a pipe. The outside however has started to turn from grey to black. This normal!??

Thanks,

Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.