PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I was disappointed in Cam Newton's demeanor during his abbreviated post-game press conference yesterday night. Instead of the zebra-striped trousers he sported upon his arrival in California perhaps he should have invested instead in a pair of big-boy pants.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
His Own words he was a Hybrid , too full of himself, his pre game interviews was nauseating, Old man showed him up, Wade Phillips defense really won the game, Bum his dad is looking down and Beaming.

May 31, 2012
Old man showed him up, Wade Phillips defense really won the game, Bum his dad is looking down and Beaming.
+1
Although I was rooting for the Panthers and Shula's son,

I was glad to see a defense stand so tall and totally destroy such a good offense.
The Broncos should be very proud of such a tremendous show of force,

especially nice to see Wade Phillips show 'em how it is done

and poke his finger in the eye of the stupid Cowboys!

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
After watching what they did to Brady (and he gets the ball out quicker than just about anybody else) I thought the Denver Defense was for real. They proved it last night. As for Cam, well he needs to learn how to loose with some grace. That was not very classy.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
He took quite a physical pounding during the game, and I think it's a miracle he almost finished it. It seems that the final seconds ticked off w/o any real line up or play.

The opening sequence set the tone and Denver's "D" was and is one of the best up front that I've ever seen.

There were opportunities missed by Carolina. A field goal, some drops, off sides negating field position, taunting.

It's pretty crazy that Carolina still had a chance in the waning 2:30.

That last hit that Newton took in the end zone really aggravated him. He carried that into the press conference, I'm sure. I wouldn't be surprised if he would have had trouble passing the concussion protocol at that point.

Flamboyance similar to Deion, LeBron, Broadway Joe.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I didn't have any problems with the way he acted. He was hurt and bewildered by what had just been a horrible day for him. Sure, it would have been nice if he could have sucked it up when he talked to the press. Sometimes it is just best to get away before you say something that will haunt you for he rest of your career.
He was petulant but he wasn't brazenly rude nor did he try to blame others for what went wrong. QB's get too much credit when things go right and too much blame when things go wrong.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Watching Panthers against Arizona two weeks ago and Superbowl 50, Panthers were like two different teams. Always the problem with dazzling success for anyone; there's always tomorrow and next week, etc. Manning wisely dodged questions about his retirement post game. I think he'd be mistaken to drag this out another season; this is the perfect finale to a long and glorious career. Leave 'em cheering. Now he'll have another long career in broadcasting, ads, and whatever business he chooses, plus enjoying his substantial wealth with his family. Not a dismal next chapter.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I was also impressed with the product placement for Payton Manning: "kiss my wife and my kids, and go drink some Budweiser beer..." Really?!? Wonder what he got paid to say that?

On the other hand he has had one amazing career.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Watch the video in the article. You can clearly hear what Broncos cornerback Chris Harris Jr is saying & see Newton look right at him when he hears it. Deplorable conditions to interview a man who just lost a Super Bowl game. I'm not a Cam Newton fan but I don't blame him for walking off one bit.
http://fox4kc.com/2016/02/08/the-reason-cam-newton-walked-out-of-his-postgame-press-conference/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Newton kept getting sacked, and not just sacked but hammered. The Panther's offensive line hadn't seen anything like the defense they were up against for speed. Newton had to be in some pain. Two weeks before, and probably never again, Newton had been like a superhero, running, diving over the line for scores, hitting his mark many times throwing. And enjoying it in a conspicuous but not (to me anyway) obnoxious. It was sort of the fantasy of football, heroics with little pain. Glad he and Manning made peace at the end of the game. Indeed, Manning's been there and no one else could have been as understanding.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
The other facts are that Anheuser Busch as the brewer of the official beer of the NFL & in honor of the 50th Super Bowl was prepared to issue a commemorative Super Bowl 50 aluminum bottle no matter which team won. Since the Broncos won, the Super Bowl 50 aluminum bottle featuring the Denver Broncos logo will only be issued & sold in the Denver market. To imply that Manning was somehow paid is uncalled for.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I'm not a fan of Mr. Newton's recent statements either but, at least he showed enough class to walk up to Mr. Manning and shake his hand on the field immediately after the game.
As for the interview mentioned above, all things considered, I would have walked off as well.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Part of his ridiculous salary involves talking to the press and presenting yourself as good sport, pouting like a little girl is not exactly complimentary to the Panthers organization.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
What was he supposed to say, exactly? He shook Manning's hand on the field, and didn't feel like sitting in the pillory. There's nothing wrong with walking away - he's a 26 year old kid who had just experienced the most disappointing moment of his professional career. Head coaches can be gruff, terse, and even rude to the press, but a kid who had his bell rung for the 6th time just a few minutes before the press conference (and has members of the other team crowing loudly in his ear) is supposed to perform like some kind of elder statesman?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
GT for what they pay him he's got to take the heat. Your response he's just a kid, he's 26 , what has he seen in life, Nothing, try haveing your bell rung training for Combat training at 1% of the pay, then going on deployment when your mistakes are put in Body Bags. We have to stop making excuses for people who don't perform. Before the Game he was at interview a Hybird Quaterback Superman showing thru on his shirt. In defeat he was pendulant little man. Don't think I want to cause a dust up, but he is not a class act.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
If Newton had signed with one of the so-called super agents like Tom Condon he probably would have been schooled in how to handle such matters. If you will recall before the draft in 2011 his problems at Auburn both on & off campus in his personal life came to roost. Maybe Condon wasn't interested in signing him. Now that he has signed this huge 5 yr contract ( something like $60M guaranteed) with the Panthers he is unlikely to change unless the Panthers bring in someone to school him & protect their investment. If they do that he has the potential to be the next face of the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.