Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
We've always heard how Saint Claude, France is where the briar pipe was born, and that there are pipe monuments, statues, and signs all over the town as the pipe is part of their culture.
It turns out that Przemyśl is Poland's Saint Claude, and that pear wood is their briar, and 50,000 pipes a year are coming from Mr. Brog Pipes.
Check out this great write-up from Fred Brown, and really cool photos supplied by Mr. Brog.

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/the-pipe-pundit/mr-brog-polish-pipes-the-pride-of-przemysl/

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
8O I want to go there if only to see the buildings and street art! (Okay, I'll probably have to get one of their pipes as well.)

kodos44

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2012
Own a Mr. Brog briar.. One of the low end ones. Smokes as good as any pipe I own. Highly recommend them as great starter pipes and absolutely fantastic pipes for just everyone.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Great article on a brand that has stormed into the American market in the last few years. :clap:

Can't say much for the annoying "dog-ear" pop-out ad on the homepage, though. Please figure out a way to place a "go away" box on it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And, says Zbigniew Bednarczyk, owner and creator of Mr. Brog pipes, pear wood is very dense. "It has almost no air holes," he says, unlike briar that will have air holes to be plugged.
I believe the statement regarding briar is false. (in the main)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some have said the pear hasn't held up, but most seem to love Mr. Brog, and he makes briar pipes too. My only comment is that the website is way too jumpy. It's like five-minute dating night. You don't get to see anything long enough to want it.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
- There is even a monument of a happy fellow sitting in the middle of town, resting himself on a bench. Smoking his pipe, that appears to be a churchwarden, while holding a stein of unknown content -
That "happy fellow" is more famous that Mr. Brog pipes, even though he is Czech.

I'm surprised that journalist isn't familiar with the book.

Bench? More like artillery shell box...

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
And, says Zbigniew Bednarczyk, owner and creator of Mr. Brog pipes, pear wood is very dense. "It has almost no air holes," he says, unlike briar that will have air holes to be plugged.

I believe the statement regarding briar is false. (in the main)

Think of fills, I think this is what he's referring to.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Here is matey smoking his pipe....
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2015_Przemyśl,_Pomnik_Józefa_Szwejka_na_rynku.jpg
"The only downside, he says, is that pear pipes smoke a little warmer than briar."
And that is putting it very mildly!
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
He looks more comfortable in the Spring......
800px-2015_Przemyśl%2C_Pomnik_Józefa_Szwejka_na_rynku.jpg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
That "happy fellow" is more famous that Mr. Brog pipes, even though he is Czech.

I'm surprised that journalist isn't familiar with the book.

Bench? More like artillery shell box...
I'm a retired journalist and I don't know which book you are referring to or the character.
So don't just leave the forum hanging, educate us.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
What I meant is, and forgive me is don't use proper "wording", that if a jornalist has written an article in which he makes any kind of reference, he should research the object of said reference. Now have I said it right of screwed up the grammar?

pipedreams86

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2016
Super interesting! especially as I received a Dr Brog Churchwarden last Christmas...it smokes great, definitely smokes hot though!

Status
Not open for further replies.