Mr Brog Pipes For A Beginner?

(29 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by phantomwolf
  • Latest reply from phantomwolf
  1. phantomwolf

phantomwolf

Login to Send PM

Hey there

Every time I notice that Mr Brog advert on the side of the screen I say in my head: "You're going to like the way you smoke. I guarantee it." haha

Anyway, I am fairly new to pipesmanship and frankly most of my money has gone to tobacco-leaving me with a single lonely briar and a few MM cobs. I figured this a good place to ask what, if any are some good cheap pipes to start with. I was wondering if $30-$40 pipes are a waste of time? Should I just save a few more bucks and hold out for the $80-$120 range pipes? Peterson, Savinelli, and BC are some of my favourites aesthetically in that range. Any suggestions and or advice is appreciated. Sucks being new to hobby that has so few local enthusiasts.

Also, I have seen 'lots' of used pipes on ebay for reasonable prices. Is it a good idea maybe to grab one of those and try my hand at refurbishing?

Thanks,
    Justin

“Life... is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
    Signifying nothing.” -Bill Shakespeare
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. okiebrad

okiebrad

Login to Send PM

I too spend the majority of my smoking funds on the tobaccos. I have fair number of briars but 90% of the time I use one of my cobs. Personally, my inexpensive cobs work as well as my expensive briars.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Grab a handful of cobs at the local drugstore if possible.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Purchase what ever you can afford, while still paying the bills. I find that it's not so much the pipe that smokes well, but the person that smokes well.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you're deadset about adding another briar to your lonely one and your cobs, I'd save a little and grab a Savinelli or Stanwell. But I'm not a fan of Mr. Briggs pipes.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Look into Rossi pipes at smoking pipes dot com. They are Savinelli I pipes, just a lower grade and a steal at the lower priced ones. Or get a Savinelli. I, too, am not a fan of Mr. Brog pipes.

". . . I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul."
    - INVICTUS
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can't beat MM corn cobs value.
    I'd buy a few more cobs in various sizes & save money for the purchase of tobacco. At this time the long term availability of pipe tobacco in the US is uncertain. (I am not optimistic).

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

were I to start again, I would center on used from somewhere like SP.com
    I've gotten some real crap on eBay, over bored - whatever you can imagine.
    I've liked every Stanwell, Rattray and Savinelli I've ever had. Though I have gotten a Rattray new that was so overcoated inside it irritated me - sanded out and cleaned it up and it's a great smoker after I thought I would have to toss it.

Goo Goo g’joob
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some really like their Mr. Brog's. I don't like the jumpy website, and not everyone thinks well of the pipes. You can get some good briar pipes for very reasonable prices in, for example, the Rossi brand made by Savenelli. A recent post showed the de Paja line of pipes with a series in the $45 range that had proved a good smoker. Nording has some worthy pipes in the $68 area, and Dr. Grabow makes the Royalton series, with good acrylic bits, that you can smoke with or without filters, for less than $40 some places. So you can wait and save, or shop hard and find a good pipe at a low price. The argument for saving is that pipes tend to last a long time, properly maintained, so you may be happier with fewer high end pipes rather than more economical ones, but select low-price pipes are fine smokers, just not as elegant. Nothing wrong with any of those Dr. Grabow Royaltons, if you enjoy the old time style of those pipes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can find decent pipes for a low cost. I have a Bjarne Viking that cost me about 60 dollars brand new. It was one of my first briars, and it's a good smoker. You can find a great assortment of them at Pipesandcigars.com ranging from 50 to 150 dollars. Keep an eye on all the site sponsors, sign up for their email alerts. Pipesandcigars, and Smokingpipes especially. They regularly have great sales and an assortment of low dollar pipes. If you find a pipe, but have questions about the quality, feel free to ask about it here. Someone will be able to steer you in the right direction. That's what we're here for

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. phantomwolf

phantomwolf

Login to Send PM

Great feedback, everyone Thanks!

And yep, I have a handful of MM cobs and two more on the way with a trove of tobacco from smokingpipes.

Also, I went to my local tobacconist just now to refill my Dunbar and Skiff Mix jars and... I got sucked in, boys. haha I saw a handsome pipe in the case and had to ask what it was- It was a La Rocca and was very reasonable at $65. About to take her for the maiden smoke now!

And anthonyrosenthal, I love my Bjarn Viking. It's actually the pipe i'm smoking in my profile pic!

Cheers!

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. phantomwolf

phantomwolf

Login to Send PM

Also, great to hear the good things about Savinelli and Rossi. They have some great looking pipes and I will certainly consider one for my next pipe. I want an Ardor pretty badly. Or something likewise big and handmade. I think I may forgo the tradition self-gifting of a guitar on my birthday this year for a good pipe or two. Assuming my bills are paid, as per didimauw's advice. haha

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think I may forgo the tradition self-gifting of a guitar on my birthday this year for a good pipe or two.
    That is a struggle I fully understand

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. phantomwolf

phantomwolf

Login to Send PM

photo 18197768_10213125366599095_1154718088_n.jpg

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice looking pipe

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. phantomwolf

phantomwolf

Login to Send PM

Thank you, sir. I found it challenging to smoke as the bowl is much larger than I am accustomed, so it was a new experience packing. I packed it with the 'frank' method and it was just too dense. I'll have to try again with the 'three-step' method.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. tinsel

tinsel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a few nice briars in the $80-120 range, and they don't necessarily smoke any better than my pipes that are in the $20-40 range.

%75 percent of my smoking is done with cobs. Another %20 is done in my trusty Dr. Grabow that was $33 at walgreens. The other 20 pipes in my collection, including meers and various briars, occupy the other %5 of my total smoking.

If I had it all to do over again ... I probably would own nothing but cobs and Grabows. They smoke great, and are cheap enough to not have to worry about breaking/losing/ruining them.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ebay is a good place to get quality mid range estate pipes and there are some reputable sellers that clean them befor selling, Pipestud is a member hear and a Ebay seller and would be a great place to start. Befor I learned howw to restore Pipes I would send my estate pipes to Stem and Briar for their rejuvenation service, it is worth considering, take a look

http://www.stemandbriar.com/resotration

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ardor pipes are on the pricey side. I would look at either a mid-range Savinelli (I have 5) or a Rinaldo ( 2). I also have some less expensive Italian pipes - de Paja, Armellini, Bernaldi - and they are great smokers.

Also, for the price of an Ardor you can find some real good artisan pipes.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  20. grue

grue

Login to Send PM

I have the Mr Brog Billiard. It smokes nice but as mentioned above the cobs are way more comfortable in everything, except maybe cleaning. Best clenchers ever.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. phantomwolf

phantomwolf

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Pagan. I was actually just on Pipestud's page yesterday. haha I originally found his reviews helpful on tobaccoreviews and found my way to his site from there.

Tinsel, I totally agree. My first pipe was a Grabow and I love my cobs. I do want a few Ardors or like pipes purely for their looks. They are undeniably art and will look great on my tobacco shelf. Speaking of Grabows, I was looking through them recently and found pictures of the 'Color Duke' series and my PAD kicked into overdrive. I will be in search of a couple of those. Such cool and retro looking pipes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. phantomwolf

phantomwolf

Login to Send PM

For sure, Grue. When I go to camp, I have a cob in my mouth at all times. haha

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the Brog pear woods. I'm a big fan of Orientals and Virginias in pear wood, but I think I'm in the minority. I don't have any Brogs at the moment, having dropped and cracked my last one, but I do have two nice Ukrainian Etsy pear woods that I enjoy regularly.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. phantomwolf

phantomwolf

Login to Send PM

I like the Brog pear woods. I'm a big fan of Orientals and Virginias in pear wood, but I think I'm in the minority. I don't have any Brogs at the moment, having dropped and cracked my last one, but I do have two nice Ukrainian Etsy pear woods that I enjoy regularly.

Perique, does this mean all Brogs are pear wood?

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Negative. They also make (or made) some briar pipes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. downinit

downinit

Login to Send PM

If I did it all over again I would buy unfinished Savinelli's instead of the cheaper mr brogs. The cheaper Mr brogs have cheap plastic stems which break easily.

[No man has the] right to mislead others, who have less access to history, and less leisure to study it. . . . Thus substituting falsehood and deception for truthful evidence and fair argument.
    — Abraham Lincoln, Cooper Union Address, 1860
    Posted 2 years ago #
  27. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For $20-$30+ Mr. Brogs are great pipes. I have two. I like them.

My favorite cheap pipes are the "Capri" brand.

The West Virginia pipe shop has several... all around $30. Great Briars. They are usually considered basket pipes.

I have never really had much love or luck for Stanwells or Savs. Just my personal preference.

In that price range, I'd rather have a new Neerup, Joh's or Hilson. Again, my personal preference. Some Savs have caught my eye, but they are usually the $200+ ones.

Edited to say... agreed, the Mr. Brog Stems are not the best. As a clencher, I need rubber bits. The only Mr. Brogs I have bought are the least expensive ones. If I were to get in the $30 range, I'd get a Capri.

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 2 years ago #
  28. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bjarne Vikings deserve their own thread. They're mostly good smokers out of the box and decently attractive for the money. I got a number of them for walking/working pipes several years ago. One started off pretty rough, but after a long tour of duty as a beater it finally broke into a keeper. A few of them are just downright terrific!

I only have two La Roccas (both Speciales), both good-looking outperformers from the get go.

If you're looking for relatively inexpensive pipes that are consistently good smokers, Dr. Grabow is the way to go. Besides ... sometimes it's fun to pick out a new briar at your neighborhood Walgreens (remember to ditch the filter).

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. phantomwolf

phantomwolf

Login to Send PM

[/quote]Bjarne Vikings deserve their own thread.[quote]

Start one Ophiuchus! I'm with ya. I have a Skagen. My first briar. The light colour wood just jumped out at me and when I saw the price, I couldn't believe it was still on the shelf. haha Great first pipe and it certainly will not be the last Viking I own.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   clickklick, lloydcole, smipe, shayde, brassmonkey, redglow