PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

russ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2012
Let me start off by saying that Mr.Brog and his staff are wonderful, fast shipping and just plan old nice people.
Ok, now I own a modest collection of pipes, 31 at the moment, ranging from Dr. Grabow to Savinelli, with Petersons, Nordings, Medecos, and Keywoodie in between. Some were bought new, some estates. Of all the pipes I own, I never felt the urge to right a review about them because well lets face it, most of us have at least 1 of the pipe makers I listed above and we have all read others opinions of said brands or have formed our own opinions. That being said here is my review of 2 of the 3 new Mr.Brog pipes I am a proud owner of. The 3rd pipe has not been smoked yet, it hasent told me what blend it wants to be its first smoke.
Mr Brog Amigo 51...

IMG_1566.jpg

When I first took this pipe out of the box I was AMAZED at the size of it. The fit and finish of this pipe is amazing. It is very light for its size and it is very easily clenched. I wanted to smoke it last night, but I was to tired after a long day and was not in the mood for an hour long if not more smoke. So today I tried her out. I planned on loding her with DH Nightcap, but as I opened the doors to my cellar, Spartans English just screamed to me, I know this blend very well, and I have smoked 4oz's of it over the last month. This pipe also comes with a filter that I removed before loading. I will admit I was a little intimidated by the size of this bowl, biggest I own. So I gravity filled to the top, tamped down ever so lightly to half full, did this again, tamped lightly to 3/4 full, and one last time packing her down to a springy wad of heaven.
Did the false light, little tamp and let her sit for a minute or 2. Now the full light, WOW, the draw was amazing, easy peasy, and the flavor of the SE just truly exploded in my mouth (shut up you perverts). I was amazed at the flavors I was pulling out of this today. Flavors and smoke that I have not achieved in any of my other pipes, but one. The bowl never got hot, the smoke was always cool, and for the first time ever I smoked this blend down to a fine white ash. No gurgles, no whistles, no nothing but a great smoke. There was no weird taste from the pear wood, nothing like that at all. In all honesty, accept for my Peterson Donegal Rocky 106, this is the best smoking pipe I own. I am going to buy the other 2 versions of this pipe, both have the finished top with different color rings. Also going to contact Mr Brog and see if I can get one sand blasted.
Ok, up next, Mr Brog Tabachos No 41...
IMG_1581.jpg

This pipe has a small bowl, but not so small that its a quick smoke. This one also comes with a filter that I removed. The fit and finish on this pipe also wonderful. The sandblast is in perfect correlation with the size of the bowl. It is a very light pipe, and the first bent that I own that sits very comfortably on my chin. Her first bowl was, MacBaren H&H Highland Blend. Again, like the Amigo, no weird taste from the pear wood, no gurgle or whistles, just a great smoke. The pipe feels a little dainty in my big fat hands, and especially after the Amigo, but other than the size, it smoked wonderfully, cool burn, no hot spots, and very comfortable. This will be my sit on the porch and read a book pipe. I dont have to hold it, it just rests there and does what its supposed to do. I am very pleased with this pipe, and it will be a part of my regular rotation.
All in all, these 2 Mr Brog pipes will be a favorite of mine for a long time, I cant wait to try out the third.
Sorry if I rambled a bit, but this is the first review of any kind that I have ever written. I hope I did these pipes justice.
Russ.

Reactions: Cap

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I told you they were great! and would be a better smoke than alot of higher end pipes($100.00) I have 2 Brog offers and they are terrific. Mr. Brog sent me an email yesterday to tell me he will contact me when a #66 arrives in stock. They not only make great pipes, they are great ppl as well.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I love my Brogs without a doubt IDK people can turn up their nose at them because of price but in reality I havent found much that can come close and nothing in that price range even close end of story.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
I have been hesitant to try Mr. Brog because of them not being briar, but after a review like that I am gona have to give them a try.

russ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2012
I have been hesitant to try Mr. Brog because of them not being briar, but after a review like that I am gona have to give them a try.

He also makes a briar for 49.99 that to will be in my collection. I am really hoping that I cam get the Amigo blasted, if not, I might have to buy one and see if I can get someone to do it.

roguefox

Lurker
Mar 21, 2012
Does anyone own the Belfast No 69 briar pipe Mr. Brog makes? I'm curious how the size compares to normal pipes, I'm not good at figuring that stuff out just by looking at measurements. Russ, I would also be interested in a sandblasted amigo, maybe if he knows multiple people are interested it will become an option! How would you gentlemen who have the pear wood pipes say they are standing up durability wise? Are they easily dented or chipped?

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
Hey Russ, my wife got me the #41 for Christmas. I am constantly reaching for it. I have a much more subdued pipe count at seven but it is an awesome pipe and gets much more attention than others I own.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I have a review of the amigo you mentioned, probably sold them a bunch of that lol
They really are one of the best pipes out there as far as smoke for the money is concerned

roguefox

Lurker
Mar 21, 2012
have a review of the amigo you mentioned

Would it be possible to see said review? An abundance of knowledge is never a bad thing! Unless it's about your partner..

russ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2012
@ fisher, yeah that 66 is sweet, I might have to put that on the PAD list
@ roguefox I too am looking at the #69, I love how the stem and and shaft are bigger than the silver band. It has a 2x2 bowl with a 5" over all length, thats a good size pipe if you ask me.
As far as dented or chipped I whacked my pre teen son in the head with it today, pipe is fine... KEEEDING. Like fisher said, I take real care in handling my pipes, if I start getting lazy with them, I might get the evil eye from the girl and she might start complaining about the money being spent. Plus, they are like my kids, BETTER than my kids, they dont talk.
@ dhizy, I dont blame you, #41 is a sweet pipe, I love mine like I said in the review. It does what its supposed to do, its rests on my chin and smokes.

roguefox

Lurker
Mar 21, 2012
Thanks to all of you guys, your answers were truly helpful to me. Also thanks for that size clarification Russ, it is a sweet looking pipe right? It is surprisingly modern too given the rustic and simplified look I think Brog is going for. Also +1 for hitting children in the head with pipes... that's old school.

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Thanks for the review! I have been wondering about Mr. Brog pipes, and this review did very well in helping me decide whether to give one a go or not. Glad yours smoke well for you, and happy puffing!
-Jim

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I like that amigo 51. For whatever reason im still waiting to pull the trigger on one of these.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Hah!! You almost had me there. I was about to order two including the Amigo when I got my in stock notice from SP. But of course its on my PAD list. My wife is starting to hate this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.