PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
I received these pipes as a gift really. The Old Army first as I'd complained about the wind blowing ash and also putting my pipe out. It's a nice little pipe, no ways the size you see in pictures but it works well. The built in wind cap keeps things burning on those windy days.
The Corsair came next and I'm currently smoking it while writing this. Of the two, I like the Corsair better, its shape is more traditional and feels good in the hand. I have not tried their filter system which is suppose to be reusable I think. Never liked filters but the idea behind this style is interesting.
I know these pipes seem to get a mixed review from people. So far though, I've had nothing but good experiences with this brand of pipes.
Anybody else smoke Mr. Brog? Or have done so in the past?

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I've got a couple Mr Brog pipes. I rate them just below the bargain Stanwell lines. If you were to give me a choice between one of the two brands at the same price I'd favor the Stanwells. I find them to be better designed and styled pipes. For instance, I have a Mr Brog briar poker that has a slightly convex shaped bowl that gets hot at the thin part in the middle. Also, I haven't been able to smoke it without a filter. The draw is just wide open without it. My Stanwell poker that cost the same has neither of those problems.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
If you were to give me a choice between one of the two brands at the same price I'd favor the Stanwells.
I've yet to find a Stanwell at the same price as the Mr. Brog pipes. The ones I find are more expensive, which is fine if you're paying for quality but if they're only slightly better than Mr. Brog, which smoke great for me, not worth it for me. Though I am curious, what Stanwell models are you referring to? I like trying all different brands

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never shopped Brogs in person, but online they look a little blocky and clunky. Some of the Stanwell designs, even on their little brushed briar pipes, were originally done by Sixten Iverson (sp?). Some of the non-briar woods Brog uses are probably not as durable as briar. And I found the website way too jumpy and hyperactive to give a good view of the product, though I think they've improved that somewhat. I've looked at Brogs a number of times and they just never grabbed me. For the same money, go for a MM cob with acrylic stem or a Dr. Grabow Royalton.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Both of these pipes are made out of pear wood, which I think is cheaper than briar but my first pipe was made out of pear wood and I've never had a problem with them. Only thing I notice is that they can get a bit hotter than briar wood pipes. I love MM cob pipes, I'd pick one of them any day but I like trying new styles and brands, plus these were gifts so that made them even better haha. I don't have a Dr. Grabow in my collection at the moment. Might look into them.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
So far though, I've had nothing but good experiences with this brand of pipes.
The problem with this type of review is that you seem to own two, and be somewhat new to pipe smoking. I'll be brutally honest for a moment. Many more pipes are sold than your two, and to people who have more experience, and have discovered that this brand sells some real shoddy product from time to time. Olive wood has its place but it is not briar, and it will get more than just hot if you are not careful. I'm glad you are happy with yours, but don't think that means that they are high quality.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
I didn't mean to imply that they were, was just sharing my experience with them. That's why I asked about other people's experiences. I know Mr. Brog is more mass produced than others so there are bound to be plenty of bad pipes that come out from them.
Yes I'm new, started pipe smoking back in April or May, but I offer my reviews and learn from what veterans of the craft like yourself have to say about it.
Trust me I don't claim that Mr. Brog is the best pipe company in the world. That title would differ from person to person anyways.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A number of members have posted positive comments on their Mr. Brog pipes, especially new pipe smokers and members who need to stay within a strict budget. Also, Mr. Brog is a sponsor of Forums so has paid its dues to our conversation here. I say, if you like the visual aspect of Mr. Brog pipes, give them a try. I'd steer you toward the briar versions, but the non-briar seem to serve okay. People tend to adhere to what they have chosen to smoke. Some members really only want to smoke Dunhill/White Spot pipes and shun Savinelli, Stanwell, and Peterson. So it goes. Tell us about your Mr. Brog experiences over time. You may win him more adherents.

Status
Not open for further replies.