PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
Does anybody have a Mr. Brog pipe? If you do what did you think of it compared to other pipe manufacturers of similar price range like Dr. Grabow or Baraccini?

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I've got one but only smoked out of it a few times. When buying it I honestly didn't do much research and didn't realize it was cherry wood and not Briar. It's stashed on a shelf somewhere while both of my Dr. Grabow's get smoked daily. I'd vote for the Dr. Grabow based on my experience.

tom12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2011
I have one, the cherry wood isn't a problem for me but the stem doesn't feel right in my mouth, I prefer my corncobs.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I have a Morta 112 "Habit" from Mr Brogg.

It smokes great and I couldn't be happier with it, especially for what I paid for it! :)

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
That one is a nice pipe. I really like their prices and their interpretation on classic styles is pretty interesting.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't own a Mr. Brog, but I read mixed reviews. I think some of his non-briar wood can be less durable than briar, or likely is. Might work if you have a number of pipes. However, I would point out that you can get excellent buys on new Savinelli, Stanwell, BC, Chacom, Dr. Grabow, and other briar pipes that will last many decades or a lifetime. I'd just tend to recommend them as a long-term purchase. Some of the MM cobs that cost a little more have acrylic stems and will also last a long time. Buy a Mr. Brog if you like its looks, but for long-lasting quality, try one of the standard brand briars.

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
Yea agree with you on that I love my Savinelli and have about 6 MM that I smoke daily and have had them for many years without a single problem. I just see the Brog popping up every once and awhile here in the advertisements and was wondering what people thought about them. I'm not very much of a filter guy so if i did end up getting the Dr. Grabow i would have to get the adapter for it.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
Nothing bad to say on Brogs, my friend smokes them and likes them a lot. I simply prefer briar far more than cherry, and, I don't care for the typical Brog rustication and finish - it often looks quite cheesy. I prefer Grabows to Brogs.

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
They do have some briars but most of them are like you say cherry wood pipes. Nothing wrong with them. I have some of the hardwoods from MM and they smoke great once they are broken in.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
I've got two Mr Brog pear wood pipes and one briar poker. All three smoke fine except the pear woods tend to get hot quicker but the briar does as well as any of my Dr Grabow.

pastorpiper

Lurker
Dec 16, 2016
Ok....I'm resurrecting an old thread, but wanted to weigh in on Mr. Borg pipes.
I have 3 of them (2 of them are the pear wood "Kentucky" model, and 1 is a pear wood "cherry" model).

They cost about $25 each. I really like the brand. Pear wood is a great wood for pipes and acts a lot like briar....but maybe even more of a cob personality as it doesn't ghost. It does smoke a bit hotter, but that just reminds me to slow down. They weight next to nothing and, as I'm a clincher, it feels like a cob in my mouth, weight-wise.
I've really been enjoying the smoke. I especially love the "Kentucky" shape and bend. It has a nice size bowl and has the perfect hang for me. They get a regular rotation in my smoking schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.