PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2015
So I recently purchased a mr brog churchwarden nr 14, and not a week after buying it I was taking the stem off to do a deep clean when the tennon broke. I emailed the eBay seller and he sent me a new stem for free. However, I was just putting in the stem and it doesn't quite fit. It's so tight that I wasn't able to get the stem in all the way, and it's now stuck in the shank in an awkward position. I really like the pipe so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Stop everything and watch a few YouTube videos. I can't provide a link but heating up the tenon very carefully and you can get the exact fit you require. Be patient and figure out how to do this befor you break anothe tenon.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Put the pipe in the freezer for several hours. The tenon should loosen up.

hakchuma, please explain how heating the tenon would shrink it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That's been the common wisdom around these parts. Besides, if the freezing doesn't work, you only have to let it warm up to room temperature. OTOH, heating the tenon will probably alter it permanently. I just don't understand hakchuma's reasoning.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Freezing temperatures cause materials to contract or shrink. Heating does the opposite. Since your freezing the whole pipe over night, when you remove the pipe to room temps tomorrow, wait 5 to 10 minutes before you check the fit. That will allow the pipe's shank to warm a little first and expand some since it's wrapped around the tenon of the stem...hopefully it will come free.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
I guess said the opposite. If the tenon was too lose you can use heat on it. It was a video from Jason the meerschaum king. :( sorry.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I use beeswax on the tenon. The LAST resort if you figure out that the tenon is definitely too large is to VERY LIGHTLY sand it down. I'm talking 600 grit paper wrapped around the tenon, and twist it ONCE and try the fit. Then try the wax until the tenon fits SNUGGLY.
edit: I see George is here now...he's knows best about the issue.

Aug 31, 2015
Okay, thank you all for your advice, it's much appreciated. I just put the pipe in the freezer, I'll check it in the morning and I'll try to let you all know how it turns out

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Some of the Mr. Brog stems are made of ABS plastic that will not react to temperature like ebonite/vulcanite. I would recommend to try candle wax on the tenon or if this won´t work carafully sanding it down with fine emery paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.