PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I see that Turner Classic Movies will be airing Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House 12/09/14 at Midnight. Anyone who hasn't seen it or wants to DVR it, you have been so warned.
Mike S.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Pretty strange flick aside from all the pipe smoking. Was his wife having an affair with that guy? And was Mr. Blandings abusing his wife? Seems like a movie that was very ahead of it's time

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
It's on my Top 10 all time favorites films list. I must have watched it 50 times while building our house. At least our windows fit. Cary's character lived in NYC, smoked Dunhill pipes and built a house in Connecticut. Try that today.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
"Was his wife having an affair with that guy? And was Mr. Blandings abusing his wife? " Maybe The Money Pit is a better choice for some. Affair? No. Abusing? no, unless you believe providing your wife with a huge home and a housekeeper, a mink stole and a trip to the West Indies abuse.
Cary's character lived in NYC, smoked Dunhill pipes and built a house in Connecticut. Try that today." He makes about $15,000.00/ month. What would that be in today's dollars I wonder?
Mike S.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
What would that be in today's dollars I wonder?

I wondered that myself and plugged the numbers into an inflation calculator. $15,000 a year then would be about $150,000 a year now.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Greetings,
In my never ending research of Blandings, I've studied a studio photo I have and have come to the conclusion that Melvyn Douglas is definitely smoking a Dunhill (white dot clearly visible). Cary Grants pipe appears to be a Kaywoodie (large white dot with black cloverleaf in the center). Both high grade pipes of the era. And the tobacco of choice seems to be Dunhill My Mixture #175, or whatever Bill Cole could pilfer from Jim Blandings.
Untitled.jpg

Blandingspipesandtobacco003_zps5ef2fcaa.jpg

Blandingspipesandtobacco002_zps05bd598d.jpg

I'll be watching tonight, with a pipe of course. Good viewing all!
CACooper

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
mikestanley:
If Mr. Grant's character made $15,000.00 per month ($180,000/year) in 1948 (the year the film premiered), then, according to the Website measuringworth.com the value of that annual income in 2013 (the nearest year available to the present) would be $1,740,000.00 (based upon the historic standard of living)!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Taped it a while back and play segments while puffing, very enjoyable. He overran his house cost to 18000$, HaHaHa. Of course I understand the time frame but it's still makes me chuckle as I bought a Condo in 2000 for 250,000 and it was a bargain. When I sold it to go on the farm I made 100,000$ on it, and claimed the one time tax exempt, the only time in my life I put it to the Tax man. At 71 I have to start takeing out my IRA and guess what The tax man is chewing my ass, you don't get ahead of the Tax man..

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"I believe Mike made a typo there. In his introduction Douglas says $15,000 a year."
In that case then, according to the Website measuringworth.com, the value of that annual income in 2013 (the nearest year available to the present) would be $145,000.00 (based upon the historic standard of living).

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Recorded it...Also watched King Solomons Mines.... the main character being a frequent pipe smoker....

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Hey all, I recorded this movie but didn't get around to watching it till today. I saw this years ago, and remember the pipe smoking and had a vague recollection of the story. I really enjoyed watching it again, and now paid more attention to the pipes. Funny thing, I never remembered the guy finishing the floors was smoking what looked to be a Peterson system pipe. Pretty funny scene, but not sure he should be smoking anything while varnishing floors! Could have been another disaster for the poor Blandings...

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Well, while $145,000/year is a lot of money to most of us, you could not live in NYC in a 5 room apartment with a live-in maid today. Nevertheless, this movie is a classic and very entertaining for anyone who has ever had a house built.

I remember when we were building ours. We lived 75 miles away and our fax machine was smoking from sending faxes back and forth with the builder. We came out every Sunday to see the progress, have lunch and then go home wondering what the hell we had got ourselves into.

22 years later we're still here but I don't think we could go through the process again.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Cary Grant is my favorite actor of all time. So funny, super classy, but not a wimp by any means. This movie is fantastic to watch, as all his films are.

Status
Not open for further replies.