PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I'm sure a few of you have had to move with your collection of pipes and tobacco. I have to do just that in a few weeks and aside from a few random items I'll need my pipes are all I have left to pack. I'm also not sure how I should pack them. I was thinking of wrapping the pipes and tobacco jars in packing paper. But do I put them in the same box? I don't want to damage the pipes while transporting them in a box full of 'heavy' glass jars. But then what do I do for my non-jarred tobacco? What have you done when moving?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't know how many pipes and jars/tins are involved, but I would take the same care as I do when sending a pipe for restoration, or to a buyer. I separate the stem from the bowl and wrap each in bubble wrap, then tape the two wrapped parts to each other to avoid getting them separated. Wrap your jars in bubble wrap as well. Place the wrapped objects in boxes using foam peanuts to separate the wrapped objects. Make sure that nothing is closer than two inches from the edge of any box. Keep your jars in one box and your pipes in another.

Earlier this year, I spent several months cataloging and packing up my parents' house for disbursement to my siblings as well as a couple of charities. After 50+ years of living in that house they had accumulated a lot of objects of various kinds, many of them quite delicate. Using this method, everything arrived at its destination intact.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I always save the boxes that my pipes come in, as well as the sleeves. You can fit two pipes to a box. I usually put one pipe in a sleeve, and another without one. If I ran out of boxes, the rest were bubble wrapped. Then, I put them all in a big bow by themselves, with some sort of padding. As got the tobacco, I used a big plastic tote, with each jar wrapped in bubble wrap or packing paper. I didn't put any of them on the moving truck at all! Same for my taxidermy.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
yep, what they said. If you can't find bubble wrap paper towel will also work in a pinch. Just use lots of it. I also include my pipes and tobacco in the "in my car" box along with family heirlooms like old pictures and the family bible. One things I use for my pipes in my pocket so it doesn't get scratched is felt shoe socks. They are given out at hotels to shine your shoes. They have a nice pocket to put your hand in and that's where my pipes go instead of kicking around in the glove box or my jacket pocket on their own. I have a few boxes of them if you need some. Send me your address and I can see if I can get them to you before your move date depending on how reliable Canada Post is right now.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I've read somewhere that while having your pipes apart for a long period of time can cause them to not match up anymore when you put them back together. Like wood swelling then the tenon not fitting like it should so you would develop a space, or raised area around the shank and stem mating up at. Humidity would play a huge factor in that apparently. I wonder though if that would be the case wouldn't there be a lot more damage to pipe shanks?
Personally I don't know if that would happen but when I moved from Hawaii back state side I left all my pipes together. I packed them in paper and stored them with the ceramic tobacco jar. The tobacco jar has a leather scene on it and it was wrapped in paper also, when it arrived state side the scene had been rubbed off a little. Made me really upset but nothing I could really do about it. So I just took it for whats its worth and consider it just wear from the time itself. My pipes however made it no issues, my meerschaums I put in the hard cases they came with.
I moved to another part of town when we found a house to buy, pipes and jars were one of the last things I moved. I had them setting in my front seat as I drove over to the new house while the back of the jeep was loaded down. Bad idea if I was in a wreck they would of been all over the place.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
The last time that I moved I wrapped each pipe in a single layer of bubble wrap and used masking tape to close the opening. If you have the pipe sleeves that the pipes came in put them on then use the bubble wrap. For my jars of tobacco I used the same method as described for the pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.