PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Maybe I am over complicating things, but is there something special I should do to move my cellar when I move to a new house a couple hours away. I was thinking just pack it like dishes by wrapping in newspaper. I have some of the jars in the canning jar boxes and some not. Reccomendations?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wrap it up like the dishes, packed in sturdy boxes with newspaper or other packing, and, as with

your pipes, move them yourself. So many things get buried or outright lost in a move. Have a place

in mind where you will place and store the pipes and tobacco at the new residence, and write in on

the side of a door or somewhere you can readily see it. This sounds nuts, but moving your home

is like running yourself through a dryer (figuratively). Everything gets hopeless jumbled, for most

people. There are probably a few Prussian generals who know where every safety pin is at every moment

of a move, but no one wants to be a Prussian general anyway.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Are you moving yourself, or are you hiring a moving company?
Asked another way: Lets say you are like the average American, and you have two or more handguns, and a few rifles, and a skeet/trap shotgun or two, along with a minimum of 500 rounds for each caliber and gauge. How would you move that?
How would you move your large CD/DVD collection?
How about a camera collection?
How about your pets, or a large tropical fish aquarium?
If you are only moving an hour away, and you own stuff you care about, you should move that stuff yourself. Making many trips I would.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Hiring a moving company, whats that? U-haul truck and my own car so I'm moving myself so I will be the only fool moving my cellar.
Peck I assume you will be paying for the shipping both ways?

masterpython

Might Stick Around
Sep 18, 2013
I was thinking about climate control issues but given that lots of tobacco goes through the mail fine every day in unheated and non air conditioned truck and planes the only issue is stuff getting broken or lost.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Seriously... you guys fret about your stash like new parents worry about a newborn licking electrical sockets.
Chillax and use your noggin.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Rule #1 of moving a cellar: Pick an old tin of something special to smoke when you're done moving.
Rule #2 of moving a cellar: Stop overthinking it and just move the stuff. This isn't particle physics.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
You're not over-complicating this at all! Here are my recommendations...
English Blends - Wrap in alternating copies of The Economist and The Times of London.

Virginia Blends - Wrap in pages from a Farmer's Almanac with at least three years of age on it.

Virginia/Perique Blends - Wrap in alternating pages from The Farmer's Almanac and 1980s-era Victoria's Secret catalogs

Burley Blends - Wrap in plain brown paper shopping bags from Piggly Wiggly

Valuable, Aged Tins - Wrap in USA Today; all of the added fluff will provide additional padding and protection

Aromatics - Wrap in the Sunday comics section
Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't under any circumstances send it to peck; not long ago he unearthed four

unsmoked Dunhill pipes somewhere in a closet, so he's not one of these "everything

in its place" guys.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Haha mso, yeah right, I'm just wondering if peck and harris have put their tobacco in their Will. I know some trustworthy sorts that could distribute that out to the poor, sort of like Robin hood but without the stealing. Seriously though, mark your boxes well, and move your pipes in the car not the truck.

Jul 15, 2011
While my cellar isn't on a level with Peck or Harris, I moved a few months ago and just threw all my tins inside a big Rubbermaid container, threw it in the backseat and off I went. I only moved 10 miles down the road, but FWIW, the day that I moved the tobacco it was hotter than a witch's tit in a brass bra and very humid. Everything seems to have survived just fine. I also keep my mason jars in the same carton I buy them in, I just stacked those on top of one another and threw them in the backseat as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.