Tags:   

Moving Towards Va & VaPer Tobaccos

(41 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by kalvort
  • Latest reply from deathmetal
  1. kalvort

kalvort

Login to Send PM

I've only been smoking for about 4 years, and I have noticed like other members on this forum is that I am moving away from aromatics and heavy english blends, and more and more towards dark virginias and vapers. I feel as like I don't like the campfire taste any more, and as much as virginias are difficult to keep lit compared to other tobaccos, they still taste better and more satisfying for me, especially with a bit of perique added.

What about you guys? Have you noticed a similar or even opposite transition in personal taste?

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

kanse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Same exact thing here, started with aros, moved onto Lat blends, but now I really do prefer anything without a heavy hand of lat. As far as Aromatics go, I can enjoy some strong blends with toppings but none of the smokeable candy stuff.

For me, Virginia/Kentucky blends and straight Burleys work best for me for now.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ditto with me. Began with Lats though and heavier English, but switched to Va and Vapers. I LOVE high quality Virginia flakes. They are my goto tobacco with VaPers a close second. I can get lost in Virginia. Lats are wonderful, but it's so ever present, like a big guy standing next to you, punching you in your arm every minute to remind you you're smoking Latakia. The only exception being Exotique by Smokers Haven. I could smoke it 24/7/365, but otherwise Virginia all the way.
    I wasn't ever a huge fan of aros. I tried a few, but never loved them.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ditto

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like variety so I have several blends of each open. Helps prevent tongue fatigue for me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

My first experience was with an English blend. It was my gateway drug so to speak. I rather quickly moved towards straight Virginias and VaPers. It is pretty rare I smoke an English now.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. curl

curl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started piping early 2014 and it seems my tastes have evolved same as yours.
    I started with aromatics, fell in love with English blends, then learned to appreciate VAs and VaPers. And now it seems I put burley based blends in my pipe more and more often.

It's not that I don't like English blends anymore. It's more that my rotation is fairly evenly balanced between the types of blends.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've have been primarily a Burley smoker for the past 50 yrs and have recently had urges for Virginias. My favorites have been Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist and MacBaren Virginia #1. In the Va/Per realm I enjoy Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started with aros and English, and moved to Virginia dominant blends within a couple months.

The first time I tried a full virginia (OGS) I had an epiphany..
    "So THAT'S what all the noise is about.."

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I started on the pipe in Sep 2015 I pretty quickly settled on Condor (Ready Rubbed and Flake) and was quite content with that.

Then I joined this forum and my eyes were opened to a whole array of tobaccos I never knew existed!

I still do smoke my beloved Condor but my main smokes now are straight Virginias (FVF etc) and VaPers (St. James Flake and Plug etc) of which I am trying many out. I have just ordered a load from the US to try out and am itching to get my hands on them

There is so much variety regards straight Virginia out there and it is to the blender's credit what magic he can perform with just a single variety of leaf.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still like Latakia, as I always have, in smaller measure, typically. I can't imagine ditching one genre. From the beginning I was liking blends like Tudor Castle, Blackwoods Flake, Cooper, and so on. Right now I am on a binge of HH Latakia Flake, Long Golden Flake, and Savinelli 140°
    A Rainbow of flavor.

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think this is a pretty common theme to pipers. The vast array of aros with enticing names and flavors draw you in, but eventually you find that over the long term, other types satisfy better. I would not consider English-lats to be just a transition, and yes there are some really good aros I would never want to leave, but a really well aged VaPer is a fantastic combo that I enjoy year in and year out and best of all, they only reward you further with aging.

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never got used with traditional latakia blends, now something like burley forward blends suit best for my current likings, and I keep rotating them between mellow sort of Virginia and Vapers, and I'm pretty much saticfied Nordic smoker,keeping it simple ( this could have get much worse)

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Toob, your hair is on fire!.....someone send him the fire brigade

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think this bowl of Marlin Flake I'm currently smoking has significantly contributed to my enjoyment of this thread

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe, we should think of it as "branching out" instead of moving away from or towards. I will probably always dabble in other genres of tobacco, while my true love is Virginias. But, if someone offers something interesting in other genres, I'll try it. There does seem to be way more crappy aromatics than great ones, IMO. But, when I find a good aro, I'll come back to it from time to time.

that said, I think you're going to love exploring VA's and VaPers. There's a whole world of wonderfullness out there.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  17. snoopy311

snoopy311

Login to Send PM

I too like variety so I keep a little of everything open and ready to smoke. I’m trying to avoid getting tired of one type of tobacco hence the reason for so many open blends to rotate. Much of my choice depends on my mood at the time so its nice to have variety.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I started with English and OTC's, which was a large part of what was available then, feel in love with Captain Black as a change from Balkan Sobranie, and generally stayed within the English/Aro framework, with occasional forays into matured Virginias, or other types. About 10 years ago I really burned out on Latakia to the point that the smell of it made me a bit nauseous. Until about 2 years ago, I smoked Va and Va/Per blends almost exclusively. Then I began to reintroduce Latakia back in, on a more condimental basis, and now enjoy smoking medium English and Balkan blends once again, along with the Va and Va/Pers. I also enjoy Burley's more. Sadly, Captain Black hasn't made the cut, and Balkan Sobrainie, the real stuff that I smoked, hasn't been made in decades.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been trying to get into VA and VaPers, with little success. I feel I am missing something. Oddly, I just loaded a small meer with some unobtanium that was very dry- and had my first nice bowl of a VA-burley mix. There's hope!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  20. aimlesswanderer

aimlesswanderer

Login to Send PM

I just kind of cluelessly amble my way though GH & SG blends, occasionally grabbing a pouch of something else along the way. For the most part I don't have much clue about what's in it until after I bought it, and then I'll look it up on the net.

If I like it, then I'll go buy another, but if I'm buying from a store I'll just point out whichever big green GH tub grabs my attention at the time, and say 50g of that one please. I have revisited blends quite a few times, so I've only tried a relatively small number of blends compared to most of the folks here.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was a Lat fiend! This past Summer I started trying Virginias (Stonehaven got me hooked!). Now, I can't even stand the smell of Latakia. I have quite a bit put away, so I'm hoping it's just temporary. Right now, its all about Virginias and Burleys.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Maybe, we should think of it as "branching out" instead of moving away from or towards."

I'll go along with that Michael 100%. As we all start off with X blend we invariably branch out into different genres and therefore flavours as we muddle our way through what is available to us and what gives us greatest pleasure.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in any of that...we all have to learn to crawl afore we can walk.

That (to me at least) has been part of the adventure that has gotten me to the stage that I currently am with my tobacco preferences.

I regard myself as lucky inasmuch I didn't start out with aromatic blends but of those that do, it's notable that many former aromatic smokers do actually move on to straight tobacco blends simply for the natural flavours they off if made right.

I have no doubts that my own personal journey has a few more miles left in it and that quite excites me

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. tinsel

tinsel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Same story for me, except I tend towards bright or red virginias instead of darker ones.

Started out with a couple OTC's, moved toward lats, and then lost interest in lats and sunk into a nice comfortable rut of a few virginias I really like.

In fact, soon I'm going to do a thorough inventory of all the lat blends I have and post up a trade thread to see if I can swap some of it for some virginias that people aren't smoking

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. mindglue

mindglue

Login to Send PM

Its a quite similar story for me, after smoking for two years English/Orientals exclusively I just started to explore Va and VaPer. I think I even didn't touch Burley's yet. It's not easy to catch on subtlety of Va based tobaccos, I guess it will take time to develop your palate.
    Not moving into entirely different direction, but did you find in the ocean of Va / VaPers, less peppery blends?

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I didn't get into Virginia Flakes or VaPers until I'd been smoking a pipe for five or six years. I'd already been through a Kentucky/Virginia phase, an American Aromatic phase and had tried a few Latakia forwards before I'd ever smoked a good slice of roll. Now, like the changing seasons of the Midwest, what blends I gravitate to shift with the climate. Late spring and through summer I'm into the thin, clean, sweet Virginia-led smoke. I like Virginia/Cavendish roll cakes this time of year as well. The cherries and plummy vanillas will get broken out when things cool off in the fall, along with the Kentucky.

I did smoke more Escudo through this past winter than in winters previous ... I blamed the mild weather.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd agree with Cosmic and Jay, it's like branching out. I still smoke my latakia blends, but most of my time is with flakes. I've assembled a whole new rotation of pipes specifically for good VA flakes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

jabo

Login to Send PM

Branch out for sure. Hell, I'd smoke a rope if I could keep it lit !

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been trying Black Rope XX. It sure is a pain to keep lit.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. curl

curl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Branch out for sure. Hell, I'd smoke a rope if I could keep it lit !

One day the rope factory, she catch fire n' he runs back on in to save his lunch - he's got two sardine sandwiches - runnin' back on in to save his lunch. He gets inside n' there's all this funny smoke floatin' around up inside n'...he gets some of this funny smoke up inside his head n'...he sit down in the middle o' de' fire n' he say,

"Shhhhhhhhhhh*t, baby, I ain't gonna make rope no more!!!"

http://www.madmusic.com/song_details.aspx?SongID=6100

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been trying Black Rope XX. It sure is a pain to keep lit.

Try cutting 2-3 coins and stuffing them between some ribbon cut above and below. Let it dry well.

Me, virginias, I love 'em. I have never met a bright golden yellow, red, dark, or stoved kind I didn't absolutely like. Orientals are their kinky cousin. I love Perique in varying quantities depending on the mix. I like Kentucky and Burley, but I like Latakia as well. So long as the flavor is there and especially if it's got some kick.

There is no reason to like one at the expense of the other, every kind offers its unique taste. I've found that by constantly switching off in varying rotations, I enjoy all of them and never find me getting too tired of any.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll try that toob. I'm just used to folding and stuffing all of my flakes. I can't remember the last time I rubbed. I was hoping the rope would be the same. It may need more drying time, too. It's my first rope.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. kane

kane

Login to Send PM

It seems like Va and VaPer come later. For me they came as flake, which was a major revelation and expansion, both Va and flake and coins. I have never smoked an Aro, because I am a tobacco snob and i wouldn't be caught dead with a pouch of aro next to my designer cob. English always did it for me, I saw no need to change until I tried Va years later and discovered flakes. Except for DNR, VaPers still allude me a bit, as do Burleys. I think it simply takes time to acclimate to and appreciate these varieties. English, and Aros if you must, are easier "to get", chocolate, coffee, leather, horse stuff, etc. I evolved to pilsners and wheats, but I still loves me some Arrogant Bastard ale. I would be a happy man with only a ton each of FVF and Presbyterian.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. mindglue

mindglue

Login to Send PM

Got inspired by discussion, and opened a tin of "Red a Black", smoked it tonight. Definitely its a different, new experience, compare with my regular English/Orientals. I choose to mixed both flakes, next time will try to smoke them separately.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Getting into light' VaPers susch as Solani, Marlin and Dunhill dark flake, yes do find them being interesing and nuance rich and aren't just like that tobacoes' neverheless lately I'm coming to conclusion that burely forwards might be more go to tobaccoes'they se somewhateasier to hadle for indermediary/new pipe-smoker,perhaps my long time cigarette habit way have some affect on developing this preference,too.

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've always considered VaPers to be lighter, easier blends on the way to the harder stuff like English blends. Not the other way around.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. oldmojo

oldmojo

Login to Send PM

I left aros decades ago (but I do NOT look down on anyone who enjoys them). A few flavorful English and Balkans are the center of my daily rotation, and I can't see them leaving anytime soon, but VaPers, being later additions, are just as firmly established. Escudo Navy Deluxe is ambrosia right now, but it stands out better in a varied stable. I occasionally smoke one burley/Va blend (Bailey's Front Porch), and have yet to try any pure Virginias. I am fairly sure that I'll find at least one that I like. There are always new blends and types to try, and I am delighted far more often than disappointed.

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. stvalentine

stvalentine

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Still love my Lat-heavy blends but I need something else to balance it. Pure VA is somewhat bland to me but together with Per it shines.

"Ride it like you stole it!"

The Old Swede
    Posted 2 years ago #
  38. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess I am in the camp of the Old Swede, then. Really want to like VaPers.

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I LOVE how we're all walking on eggshells when discussing a certain genre of tobacco which I shall not name. PC run wild.

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am an equal opportunity smoker. I love all genres and get a kick out of it when someone proclaims that they will never like a certain type. Especially aros. 6000 blends and 5500 of them aros and people actually claim they will not ever like any of them.

Or Lat blends. I don't care if the only Latakia available someday is made in Poughkeepsie, NY! So long as we can still get it! Smokie-Dokie.

But VaPers! I ain't moving towards them, I found them long ago and sleep with my pillow stuffed full of the damned stuff. Ain't nothing quite like a good dark aged VaPer with yummy virginias and lots and lots of Perique spun into pretty coins!

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy this genre, but generally it was a bit narrow in flavor, so I rolled my own. Worked out well, and Perique is such an interesting substance that I recommend everyone get some to play with.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mso489, the85boro, jguss, donjgiles, yaboofive, skeeter456, cosmicfolklore, mtwaller