PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2017
Lived in New England all my life. Recently, while pursuing my career, I've made the decision to move to Tallahassee, Florida. Looking for housing now. For the hell of it, I thought I might put this to the group: is anyone familiar with the area? Relatedly, what is your experience moving large distances? I'm moving from far Vermont to Florida. I'm not quite sure the best way to go about it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
0e721a0140aaef56a3230f579c8e7347--truck-sale-moving-day.jpg

Take me back to a south Tallahassee;

Down cross the bridge to my sweet sassafrassy...
Ahhh, the armpit of Florida. I have some friends who live there, that we visit occasionally.

I'm not quite sure the best way to go about it.

You've been there, right? So, you're moving to Florida, and you don't mind that it's not close to the beach? It's kind of like an extension of lower Georgia. Not terrible, but expect culture shock. :puffy:

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah, I interviewed there. I'll be working at Florida State University. We took a trip outside the city. I don't ever remember driving on a more flat, continuous road. Different for sure.

herrpfeifen

Lurker
Feb 28, 2018
Culture shock is being generous. More like whiplash.
Pick a favorite sweater and light jacket and put the rest of your winter things into storage. The cold season is three weeks in January and temperatures seldom dip below freezing.
From April to September the weather is hot and swampy. Most days will see a 20 minute thundershower late afternoon/early evening. These generally break up in time for everyone to enjoy a pretty sunset.
You will want your new accommodations to have late-model air conditioning in good working order. Heat pumps work well.
Assume every body of fresh water has at least some small alligators in it.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I went to college in a little town that was about 90 miles NW of Tallahassee and therefore lived in the Florida panhandle for five years. Having grown up in the Pacific Northwest, it was a bit of a culture shock; however, I met some great people and learned a lot about myself in the process.
The weather will be hot and humid, which will be miserable until you adjust to it; however, this will make the summer evenings (summer runs from April through late November) an absolute treat. Going for a walk just after sunset was one of my favorite activities. I really do miss the wonderfully sweet smells of a summer evening in the south.
If you are willing to have an open mind then you may also learn to enjoy some new foods. I had never heard of a black eyed purple hulled pea in my life; however, I found them to be quite delicious. Also, I really really miss boiled peanuts. I do have to add, it is not uncommon for much of the food to be fried.
What an exciting time you are facing. Enjoy the ride.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
As a former Military brat, I made countless cross-country big moves with my parents and by the time I was a teenager, was "ram-rodding" the key move points. Here are a few tips:
1. Professional packers/movers - they manage Wardrobe boxes, dish packs, etc. Trust them with household goods, clothing and replaceable items.

2. Valuables such as jewelry may travel with you, but recommend some lockbox for your car.

3. Laptops, cameras, musical instruments - with you (maybe you rent a light van and spouse follows you).

4. Check with your homeowners insurance, many will cover property loss during moves provided you're using approved movers/storage facilities.

5. Know your deductible/replacement plan.

6. Inventory - movers will bar-code & number boxes so they can get counts correct. You should be provided a copy of the inventory that shows x number kitchen, bath, clothes, master, 1st bedroom, etc. They may provide electronic/pdf - print a copy no matter what to check-off at your destination. You cannot rely on technology the day of your move.

7. Plan your route and allow at least one extra day (sometimes 2) just in the event of vehicle problems.
If your company is covering moving expenses, find out their maximum payout, you may consider covering part of it yourself if the moving company has a better reputation and insurance coverage as well.
I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting, but these are the top things that come to mind.
Safe travels and congratulations on the new venture!

Nov 12, 2017
Hobbit, those are some good tips. I may just look into that. Thank you to you and Jndyer for the kind words. I am really looking forward to stepping up. Alan73, I'm not sure my girlfriend would appreciate that too much ;) haha. Thanks all for the responses.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Smoking: my wife wouldn’t appreciate that comment either . I have been to 30 or so college campuses, the southern ones all have something in common, a lower BMI amongst the ladies. Must be something in the water. Good luck with the move.

herrpfeifen

Lurker
Feb 28, 2018
MSO's autobiography just vanished. Including the "alligator eats arm instead of bread" incident.
Yes this thread ate one of my other comments yesterday as well. Something something gator joke.

Nov 12, 2017
I've twice tried to respond to Cosmic's comment about the Georgia mountains, and twice it's been eating by the alligators on this thread. Ravenous. I think I've changed my mind about Florida ;)

Nov 12, 2017
That's a wonderful thing. My favorite way to get into Nature. I will miss the Whites of New Hampshire most of all when I move.

Status
Not open for further replies.