PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
So, after about two years, my tastes have changed. These days, I am rarely smoking any aromatics; I see what people mean when they say that they are too mild.
So I branched out into burleys. I am regularly smoking Erinmore Flake, Solani Aged Burley Flake - 656, McClelland Personal Reserve Blackwoods Flake, and Mac Baren London Blend (of which I have two pounds in my "cellar" because I hear it has been discontinued.
I have tried Capstan (Blue) and Mac Baren's HH Old Dark Fired (which is crazy strong to me).
On my "to-try" list are Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake, Peterson University Flake, Hearth&Home L.J. Heart Burley, and Esoterica's Stonehaven.
I'm not sure if I have a point here. I guess that I'm just reporting.
Onward and upward, I guess.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'm a predominately aro smoker as well and also looking to broaden my smoking into Burleys. I look forward to hearing what you try and like.

Good job :D

If the Old Dark Fired is too strong, wait a bit on the BBF and University Flake. Unless of course you are trying to create a monster addiction. I will occasionally smoke a strong blend before bed if I am having issues with sleep, but as a matter of every day enjoyment, I stick with tastier blends that don't make me dizzy.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would suggest smoking the ODF on a full stomach and see if that works. University Flake is not quite as strong as ODF but it is up there. For a milder VA/Kentucky I would go for Solani Silver Flake and for some mild Va flakes you might want to try Brigham Klondike Gold, Dunhill Flake, Aslteys no 109, Capstan Blue Flake, Rotary Navy Cut,Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug. For Vapers, Escudo and Solani 633 are a couple of my favorites.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Don't listen to him, everyone knows all the best VA flakes are red :rofl:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Run through the expansive menu of blends at the Cornell & Diehl site. They do a lot with burley, all the way from

straight up to all kinds of blends, and they have a good variety of bulk as well as tins. Look at the bulk tobacco

site on smokingpipes.com too, another really broad offering of blends and unblended tobacco. Check out the

samplers at 4noggins that offer 1 ounce selections, so you don't end up with an overage of those tobaccos you

don't like. Pipe shows often offer extensive sampling, if you can get to one of the shows.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Good one, Eric. I have very recently discovered a love for Red Virginia tobacco. Wish I'd discovered it sooner....really hits the spot with me. Slight tingle sensation in the mouth which I enjoy, but no bite.
Might be worth a shot trying Hal O the Wynd. It bites some people badly, though.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Another that I hear is similar to Macbaren's London is Golden Extra. I haven't tried London, but Golden Extra is really good!

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
I look forward to hearing what you try and like.
I am loving the London Blend, Erinmore Flake, and the Blackwoods Flake. Based on the replies, and some research, I am likely to try next the Dunhill Flake and C&D's Opening Night.
Thanks, guys.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
bryan, you are a lucky guy. I wish I could smoke Hal O the Wynd, love the flavor but it bites me real bad. There are tons of great blends with Red Virginia's out there and Rattray and MacClellend make a bunch of the best. If you have never tried it Wessex Red Virginia Flake is a good one. One of my favorite houses is Wessex as I have 4 blends of theirs in my cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.