PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Well, moved, for work. I got transferred to Boise from Northern Idaho. I like Boise (spent a lot of time Here for work) and we got a nice house to live in. But damn I hate moving, it wears me out.
On the upside, there is a real B&M here. Stealth PAD and TAD just got a lot easier . . .

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Moving --it just sucks
Going through the accumulation of so many years and having to decide what to keep and what to throw away, give away
Good luck two both of you guys do your families

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
We are in the unpacking, and it hear you Trailboss - I took three loads to the dump and now we get here and we still have so much stuff. I'm starting to appreciate the minimalist idea and am considering shaving down my stuff (pipes excluded, of course).

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Best of luck to you dread- moving is the worst - but at least you will now have a B&M.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
As another from Boise, welcome to the Kingdom of Ada! lol But really, this is a great city and I love living/raising a family here.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Thanks macabra! My wife is from here and she is on cloud nine being back here. It looks like the best city I've ever lived in for a family and since we have a one year old that's a good thing. It's also on average 10 degrees warmer than Moscow in the winter, and that's a good thing!
Do you participate in the pipe club down here?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Take extra good care of your pipes in transit. Stuff gets lost. Stuff that doesn't get lost gets buried.

You know where it probably is, but it takes years to dig your way down to it. Then maybe it's somewhere

else, and you have to go mining again. Though maybe a lot of people are more organized that I am.

Also, if there is a pipe or pipes that you can't reach, it or they will become more and more wonderful

smokers in your memory over time until nothing could possibly buy will ever compare to them.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I'm in the process of selling/buying and moving. For me, it's not even the actual moving part that's the worst, it's all the other stuff to take care of leading up to it!!

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
MSO, I packed my pipes and baccy in my SUV and drove them with me. Not chancing getting things crushed or broken. Luckily my cellar isn't that big so it all fit into plastic tubs. My wife laughed at the whole affair . . .

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Do you participate in the pipe club down here?
I do not. Not because I wouldn't want to, but because I just don't have the time or ability to. I've got a 2.5 year old that I have to take care of in the evenings when the wife works and we've got another on the way. There may be some difficulty with future meetings as well, as Garden City is now proposing a new "No Smoking" ban that would affect the meeting location (The Ranch Club). They currently allow smoking in their place, but Garden City is looking to change that. :roll:
I assume you've been to Sturman's already?

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
Speaking of being organized and moving...I recently 'really' rented my city house out, so I had to get all my remaining belongings out of there. I haven't lived there in 3 years. I thought I was being organized. Everything was going into labeled boxes and into the trailer. But it seems like half the stuff I had (which I probably should have taken to the dump) didn't belong anywhere. So it all gets dumped into random boxes. Anyone else do this?
The worst part is that I currently have no room for 'stuff'. I'm redoing all the floors in the house. The couches are in the kitchen. My office has a tiny space in it amongst boxes where I can crouch in front of the computer and hope that nothing falls on top of me. My barn has turned into a furniture storage warehouse. It's crazy.
But it's also that time of year to get outside work done: fences, reroofing, etc. Sigh...

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I am in the middle of a move right now and it is murder. I would rather go 10 rounds with Jack Dempsey and Rocky Marciano at the same time. On the bright side,I found a tallboy of real Three Nuns and a tin of Bengal Slices when I started packing up....hopefully that will get me through the strained back and multiple heat strokes I'm foreseeing.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
dread, best of luck. Moving does suck. I've avoided it for 16 years now, but prior to that, we moved every 3-5 years or so. One thing is certain: The next time that we move, it will be to house without a basement. Basements are like Purgatory for crap that you don't need. You know that it's all going to hell, but you make it hang out for a few years before bestowing the death sentence.
When we last moved, we were meticulous about categorizing stuff and labeling boxes. So when we moved into the new house, boxes went to their designated room. Even the boxes marked "basement". It worked out great. But there is this pair of silver candlesticks that my mother bought in Mexico 55 years ago, They had been on the dining room table, but disappeared during the move. My wife swore up and down that the mover's stole them, since the table got packed the day that the movers arrived.
Skip ahead 10 years, and I'm cleaning out the basement. At the bottom of the stack of unopened moving boxes marked "basement" I find a box marked "shit from the dining room table". My wife urges me to just toss it into the trash, since we haven't missed it for ten years. I shake it. Sounds like money inside. I open it. It's like a time capsule. The newspaper and mail from the day that we moved; loose change; dog bones; the contents of my pockets from the night before; an unwashed beer glass; the empty bottle of John Bull that was next to the glass, And, on the bottom of the box....the candlesticks.
Next time that we move, we're each allowed 5 boxes and the rest goes to auction.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I loath moving. Especially now that things seem heavier than when I was in my twenties. I am also in the middle of a office move. I had to pack up the entire office and equipment to move to our main office.

Aug 14, 2012
I couldn't face it. Bought a house last summer, and live there, but never really cleared out the old place and did a proper move.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
2600 square foot 3 bedroom ranch house on a little over 2 acres (been here 28 years). 2 kids long gone, I retired almost 4 years ago. Wife has had both knees replaced. I vacuum the house and it kills me. I could work on this place non-stop and never be 'caught-up' basement full of crap, all walk-in closets full of crap, a whole wall of bookshelves stuffed, garage lawn tractor and the usual power lawn equip, car parts for cars I haven't owned in 20 years. the house is up for sale, we are buying a condo on the beach south of Daytona, kids have been offered their pick of all our furniture (good Ethan Allen stuff) no takers. I'm hoping whomever buys this place will take the furniture and all. We decided if it doesn't fit it's gone.. no storage rentals, etc. selling off most firearms. keeping one shotgun a couple of 22 rifles, a couple of 22 pistols and a cc gun, keeping 2 'superfine' fly rods. bamboo, etc all all going, keeping one set of golf clubs all others are going. canoe going, wife is doing the same with her 'stuff' if the kids don't want it now they won't want it in 10 to 15 years.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I underwrote a mortgage for a customer buying a house way, way out in a desert / mountain area. All furniture was included in the sale. Finally I decided this was normal. Why have each party pay to transport good furniture 100s of miles? Just accept what the seller already had. This was a high end property, so the furniture was also high end and matched the decor.
Winton

Status
Not open for further replies.