PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
My son, Sam, and I are both movie fans. I took a lifetime to work my way through the AFI's 100 Best Films list and Sam took five months. We like films. Full stop.
Neither of us saw the 2015 Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences selection as Best Film, "Birdman" until last night.
Gotta' be honest, "Birdman"; Mother of God, I want those two hours of my life back.
Michael Keaton is a fine performer but his neuroses and psychosis are better served in a Woody Allen film. The Cinematography Oscar was well deserved with those insanely good tracking shots and lighting up of long ass hallways and dingy dressing rooms. But, yuck.....
Birdman paled next to The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything and Whiplash.
I have nothing but respect for AMPAS. They sometimes select the turd in the punch bowl - it does happen - and this was one of those years. On the other hand, they're a pretty forgiving crowd. When they pass by an exceptionally good performance in a previous year - or years - the Academy has a way of making it right. John Wayne should've won for Sands of Iwo Jima but he had to wait over 25 years for True Grit where he played John Wayne being John Wayne.
The Academy, warts and all, gets it,
Jesse, am I wrong?
Fnord

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I am also a movie fan. I just love watching them and I really never check and care about awards. I just watch the movies and rate them using IMDB. You may find my lists here.
!!!NO SPOILERS!!!
Well, after watching Birdman, I was like WTF. But then after 10 minutes or so I realized that, that movie was something indeed. It is an Iñárritu movie, so the person watching it should be aware of his expectations about the movie. I watched his Babel and Biutiful and they both were amazing movies. I have been told to watch 21 Grams, never had a chance for that one though. He has his own style like Park Chan Wook. However, Iñárritu always loves leaving a question at the end to be answered by you.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
It is hard to discuss Birdman without spoilers. That said, I liked the film. I thought that it was interesting to see that experience from the inside. It wasn't in the class of best movies for me, but I liked it.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I'd heard of the director, Jvnshr, but had never seen any of his other films. I'm guessing he's something of an auteur and I will deliberately seek out his other films. To his credit, the story moved along at a fairly brisk pace and he kept one of my favorite hambones, Edward Norton, reined in with a still emotionally wrung out performance. But, the lens work was superb. NYC looked appropriately gritty.
In retrospect, Sjfine, I've though about Birdman as much these past few days as I think about a movie I really enjoyed and liked. However, it's not an overwhelming like. Zach Galifianakis was a subdued hoot as Keaton's attorney/business manager/co-producer, Norton's dancing on a razor blade performance, the royal flush camera work, etc. Still, the movie pissed me off. But, man, there really were some diamonds in that pig's ass.
Fnord

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I really liked Birdman. It was like nothing that I had seen before. It's a very sly very dark comedy that worked for me in part because the absurdity of events really struck home from my own filming experience. There are moments during a shoot when things go pear shaped that require an appreciation for the truly absurd.
When I was shooting on A Little Princess one such moment happened. We were shooting scenes on the Warners back lot where the street had to look like it was winter and everything was covered with fake snow. It was summer and about 100 degrees outside, and all the actors were dressed in heavy black winter clothing. The women were wearing long dresses and fur lined overcoats. We called a break to set up for the next shot and all of the talent went into a large tent where craft service had been set up. I ducked in there to get a cold drink and was confronted by the sight of a bunch of these women sitting in a row of chairs with their dresses pulled up to their waists, their legs apart, and fans in front of them blowing air at them. I had to duck back out because I was howling with laughter.
When Keaton's character shoots himself and the fiasco becomes a huge success I just cracked up. I like the surreal and this film delivered it in spades. It's certainly not for everyone. But I really enjoyed it. And I liked the ambiguous ending.
The Academy certainly works in mysterious ways. Wayne's Award was much deserved, though it was awarded for his overall performances more than for True Grit. The Academy was going to give Wayne a lifetime achievement award, but he let it be known that he wanted to win for a performance, not what he considered a consolation award. So he won for True Grit.
I don't always agree with what wins. I didn't care for The English Patient. I thought it a shallow piece of work. But it won over Fargo, which I thought was much superior in every possible way. The real measure is the nomination. The win can be as much a matter of politics as quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.