PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I watched this last night using my amazon prime membership and streaming capabilities.

I really enjoyed it. Lots of humorous eccentricities and great acting.

Ya, Michael Shannon as Elvis seemed odd at first, but he overcame his lack of 'prettyness' with acting chops, and the best mimic in the acting world other than Meryl Streep, Kevin Spacey nails Nixon to a tee.

This may be a fantasy based upon true events, I'm not sure, but if it happened the way it did in this movie, it wouldn't surprise me.

Two of the more interesting characters in my lifetime getting together because of a whim of The King.

This is a comedy because of its absurdity, and of course, the irony of their lives after the meeting.

There is some background music of the era, not featuring any of the Elvis material which is nice too.

Elvis in this movie, and Nixon too, for that matter, was misunderstood and trapped by the circumstance of his success, or should I say, "success"?

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
08850ffd795cb4d114ddaa3fe1dff509.jpg

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
Interesting juxtaposition of characters, I've seen the real life still photo. How about "Prince and William F Buckley" or "Lady Gaga and Putin" for a sequel?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
One little tid bit is that the most requested photo from the National Archives is the photo of Elvis with Nixon when Elvis visited the WH.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks for the reminder...I need to get around to watching this one. I've seen the preview...looks quite entertaining. I'm surprised no one made a movie on this until now.
As bad as Nixon was, Watergate was nothing compared to the ever-increasing level of institutionalized criminality that has gone on ever since then...and that no one is ever held accountable for any more.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I just finished downlo ... paying for it on a very legal website ... can't wait to discover it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nixon in China is an opera, and there's another great Nixon film with Frank Langella depicting the post Presidency Nixon/David Frost interview and surrounding events. Something about the active and penetrating geopolitical mind embodied in a bitter, frustrated, incredibly awkward human being is delectable to actors, screenwriters, librettists and other dramatists. Nixon's post Presidency books are well written and incisively argued. The man's inner life was always an extraordinary shambles. He took unhappiness to a whole new level and shared it with the world. I voted for the other guy in boot camp, but Nixon was my wartime President.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
mso, I gotta ask, what is your head-wear ? It looks like our most revered Belgian AlmaMater Students Confederations Hats ...
calottins.bmp

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
carver, my headgear in my avatar was a fez picked up as a gift for me by my sister when she was in Istanbul, because the whole family loves hats, the more zany the better. I have worn it only a few other times, but I wear it all the time in my avatar. Other of my prized headgear includes a porkpie brimmed hat with colored feathers in the band; a wacky Elmer Fudd plaid winter hat with bill and two sets of ear flaps (some stories come with that one); a wool felt drover hat with a nearly four-inch brim ... you get the idea. Fortunately, my wife is also a hat hobbiest so this is okay with her.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
My wife just watched it on Netflix. I didn't bother but I do remember when it happened. Even then I thought it was like Meyer Lansky the combination to a bank's safe. Strange times back then.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
@mso: completely off topic, but wow that's really cool. I don't know many people who actually wear hats. Frank Russell posts a lot of pictures on FB where he always wears a hat along with a full 3 pieces suit. I think that's really nice. Men used to dress smartly and sharp all through the year not too long ago, today has changed that.

And it's also good, it can be more relaxed.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
I just saw that movie, it was a lot of fun to watch. I was just 9 years old when Elvis died, and I never knew that he had such a political side.

Status
Not open for further replies.