PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Moved to the Netherlands (Maastricht) and wanted to share my initial impressions regarding piping.
-Saw an old man smoking a pipe....while riding a bike at top speed!!

-Some very interesting and old looking pipes at the local flea market, very ornate with wind covers, also saw a Dunhill stem

-There is a local tobacconist with a good selection of pipes and tobaccos, I went in looking for wooden matches and he gave me a pile for free!
There are many old churches/streets that will be good for smoking spots, I'll try to update as I find them.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
sounds like a good spot.. I am jealous about your move! I wish I could move out to that area! Good luck, and let us know about any good piping that way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
latbomber, how are prices on new pipes in pipe shops? And what is the availability of non-filtered pipes? Some

European countries seem to be big on 9mm filters. How are tobacco prices? What brands are available? I think

Borkum Riff is quite popular in Holland, unlike on the Forums. Some of those flea market pipes sound great, and

it sounds like you can pick and choose. How are prices on Big Bens? Dutch pipes seem unevenly priced over here.

Keep us posted on pipes and pipe tobacco in The Netherlands. My sister and her husband are over there visiting

his family right now, but I haven't asked them for any pipe shopping -- ha-ha.

jdto

Might Stick Around
Nov 11, 2012
It's always cool to hear about pipe smoking culture in other countries, so thanks for sharing. Isn't Amphora still a big brand there?

latbomber

May 10, 2013
So far tobacco brands I've seen are Dunhill, Peterson, Orlik, and several that I couldnt identify. I didnt see prices listed either, Ill check that out next week. Believe it or not one of the most consistent pipe brands I've seen is Porsche design, with a smattering of Petersons and other unidentifiables. I'm really curious to go to the Ardor shop in Italy and also to the French coast/Jersey to see if Esoterica is more easily available.

puffinbilly

Lurker
Jul 26, 2013
Germany
Latbomber,
Welcome to Europe, Maastricht is a marvellous town and the Dutch are great people, I travel from Dortmund (Germany) to Brussels every so often and when my wife is with me we always stop in Maastricht for lunch on the way home. The cafes on the square are a great place to enjoy a pipe in the summer while she that must be obeyed searches the boutiques for that special handbag. Prices are much the same as in Germany 100 Grams of tobacco costs about 20 Euros and a tin of flake 12. That’s my weekly consumption converts to $ 43.
Regards
Bill

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
If you purchase tobacco we can't find here in the states like other Orlik flavors or Condor or the McQuaid plugs, etc please post some pictures.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
puffinbilly: those prices aren't as high as I would have thought.
Latbomber: lets see some photos of your European visits to tobacconists, etc.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Welkom in Nederland (Welcome in the Netherlands)! :) If you want to brush up your Dutch, you can become a member of the one and only Dutch pipe smokers forum: http://www.pijprokersforum.nl/

Tijd om wat te antwoorden (time to answer some questions):
How are prices on new pipes in pipe shops? €30-€60 for a beginner pipe. For the rest pretty expensive because of taxes. I would buy pipes in Germany..

What is the availability of non-filtered pipes? Pretty good. Better than Germany.

How are tobacco prices? Too high, much higher than Germany or Belgium. Just 1 example: 100 gram Winslow No. 1 is in Germany €17,90. In The Netherlands €27,50!!! So buy your tobacco in Belgium and Germany. Not far from Maastricht.

What brands are available? MacBaren, WO Larsen, Clan, Stanwell, Neptune, Troost, Dunhill, Amphora, Skandinavik, Borkum Riff, Alsbo, Erinmore, Capstan, Voortrekker, Stad Ootmarsum, Peterson, Kentucky Bird, Winslow, Solani, Ashton, McConnell and a couple more.

How are prices on Big Bens? From €50 to €150.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
@latbomber
Thanks for this post. Though I have no intention of moving to europe, it's still quite interesting.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
Thanks for the posts everyone,I'll try to update this thread when I come across things of note.If those windbreaker pipes are at the flea market again for example..... :lol:
Also @ arno665 thanks for the link I'll check out the forum and try to decipher my way through and get a feel for the dutch pipe-related words :mrgreen:

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
Congrats on the move. I spent 2 months living in Nijmegen a couple summers ago. The villages in the area are some of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. Topping my list as an area to retire to (given that I ever make any money in this lifetime). Unfortunately didn't smoke a pipe then, nor did I pick up a lick of Dutch...

latbomber

May 10, 2013
I'll be there for at least a year and a half, hopefully longer! Today I took the bus to Aachen and found what is probably the best B+M Pipe/Scotch store I've ever seen, Pfeifen Schneiderwind. I only had my phone with me so the pictures are crappy but check out the selection from OUTSIDE the store! Inside was packed with more pipes/scotch/tobacco/cigars. I bought a few tins of Nightcap, and probably will be back for a pipe too.
img_1226-600x448.jpg

img_1227-600x448.jpg

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for sharing that - what a great looking shop. I'd be like a kid in a candy store there!

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Welcome to our country, latbomber. Let me know if I can help with anything.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Don't go to Schneiderwind, go to Jurewicz (http://www.pfeifenstudio.de/).

Friendlier customer service, more knowledge about pipes and tobacco and very good house-blends. Try Neumarkt Special 2003 and Neumarkt Special 2002. The store is a little outside the centre of Aachen but well worth the visit!

Here a picture of the very friendly owner, Hans Dieter Jurewicz:

Oh, if you are going together with someone to Aachen once more and you go with a city bus, buy a "Minigruppenkart", one ticket on which 5 people can travel all day on any bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.